Symetre 500 FJ

Started by Zimbass, November 23, 2018, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimbass

Hi Guys,

Have a little spinner that has me confused. Reel is smooth and fine, except when under load, then it locks up.

The friction ring has been removed, so that issue is not the problem.

Have checked all the internals and bearings, and all are fine.

I believe this has been an issue with many Shimano spinners in the lower end of their lineup.

Is there anyone with experience of this, and what the solution may be.

Thanks for any and all input.

Best.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

philaroman

in my exp., the friction ring was always the cause of Shimbindo in older models (high-end, as well), but you checked that

my next guess would be that Malaysian MASS production & quality control of something so small & packed w/ features, is likely to result in some duds hitting the market...  hard to tell what's wrong w/out reel-in-hand

NOTE: I only truly KNOW older models & only the Spirex/FX platform in the 500 size -- robust little buggers, by modern standards: my little Spirex brought in plenty 10+ lb. carp/cats, but I always use the 9-16' rod to move the fish (i.e., NO WINCHING!!!)...  spooling up w/ 10 lb. braid is about the most prolonged stress the reel encounters -- otherwise, the reel is never truly "under load"

Daiwa SS 700 might be a better choice of tiny modern(ish) reel for bigger fish & occasional overexcited, involuntary winching

Zimbass

Thanks for your input Sir. Hear you on the Malaysian theory. Have examined every part under magnification, and found no poor parts or manufacturing.

Will keep trying to find a solution.

Best

Terry.

philaroman

yeah, I'm much happier when the foot of a Shimano is stamped "Japan"...  espeially w/ baitcasters & small spinners...  even the old budget models made in Singapore, are better than identical later reels from Malaysia

Quote from: Zimbass on November 24, 2018, 03:56:26 AM
Have examined every part under magnification, and found no poor parts or manufacturing.

if it's out of spec., rather than a visible defect, you'd need an identical working reel to compare
...and still go blind swapping parts & playing w/ digital calipers

best of luck

foakes

Terry —

"Underload" lock up issues are common to the Symetre reels.

It has to do with alloy gears that become quickly distorted (but not that you can see) and will not mesh well at a certain point.  Sometimes a shim will help — sometimes replacing a bushing with a bearing and a shim — sometimes replacing a gear.

In my opinion only — a waste of time to try and repair properly — since you can replace 2 or 3 expensive parts — lube the reel properly — spend 3 times the typical time on the bench — and the problem will come back after a short while. 

They will not likely admit it — but Shimano knew very well these design and poor material issues for many years.  They replaced many reels — repaired many reels — and the problem still resurfaced.

It is an inherent design and poor materials flaw.

I don't ever give up on these reels — because I do not accept them initially anymore. 

This issue is common to other sizes of Symetres, as well.

In my case, I just tell the customer the truth — and advise a good Daiwa, or another reel such as a Pflueger President in a similar small size — if they want to stay with a modern plastic graphite reel.

It is a more efficient solution that will save the client money, time, and frustration — and save me the same issues — with no harm to my reputation because of a comeback that cannot be repaired properly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Thanks to you both for your response and opinions.

The reel is not mine, belongs to a tackle shop customer that I do work for.  Due to my never give up attitude, I am determined to get this little beast working.

Fred, this particular reel from 2008 has no bushings, but will try shimming both drive gear bearings to see if that may help.

Will let you know how it works out, either way.

Much appreciation.

Terry.

Cor

In Africa we have patience, lots of it.....so good luck! ;)

Sorry Terry, I know zero about spinning reels so can't assist.
Cornelis

Zimbass

Thanks Cor. Could never live in this part of the world without lot's of patience !!!!!

Take care my friend.

Terry.