Main Menu

Scorpions

Started by Dominick, November 23, 2018, 08:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

We have them up here too and I've had several for "pets". 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

We used to average maybe 3 or 4 scorpions per year inside our house, but it's been a few years since I've seen one indoors or outdoors. I've heard some of the local old timers call them "shoe waspers."

MarkT

They craft their toxin based on their target.  How about that!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Quote from: MarkT on November 23, 2018, 08:56:48 PM

Yes, wow, that is what impressed me the most of the article.  Also the tumor experiment.  We keep unlocking mother nature's secrets, then what?  Something to think about...  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: MarkT on November 23, 2018, 08:56:48 PM

I thought that the article had to be wrong, that what the scientists meant was that the scorpions adapt over generations.   But it turns out that when exposed to simulated predators in a lab, scorpions would adjust the venom blend accordingly over a period of several weeks.   Amazing!

Here's the paper describing this relatively recent discovery (http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/284/1863/20171364)

Also from  the same paper:

"Spiders, for instance, may evaluate venom resistance in prey based on olfactory cues and use their venom accordingly".

Good find Dominick!

conchydong

I don't know what species we have in Florida but when I was still living in Key West, I stuck my hand in a bag of previously opened charcoal to throw a few briquettes in the hibachi and I got stung by one and it was way more painful then a bee/wasp sting. My finger swelled up twice it's size and it was pretty brutal. Not something I would like to happen again if I can help it. I don't like Scorpions or Spiders yet I can deal with Snakes.

1badf350

I love their song "Rock You Like A Hurricane"
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

philaroman

my favorite scorpion doesn't sting...  or, backlash:  Scorpion Metanium XT   ;D ;D ;D

MarkT

I don't have a problem with snakes. I've caught many of them. Even rattlesnakes are kind of cool. I picked up a water moccasin by the tail once and dropped it before anything could happen. Copperheads are nasty.

I hate things with too many legs. I don't like spiders but those outside in the garden are ok as long as I don't walk into a web with one in it. I've caught grasshoppers and put them into the web of big orb spiders. Scorpions are kind of neat. I haven't seen any by my house but I have out in the desert. Millipedes are cute but I really hate those orange centipedes with the big fangs!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

after 3 X Lyme, it's the deer ticks that are my least favorite arachnid

Tiddlerbasher

Yep - hate em nasty little boogers. After a holiday in the Highlands of Scotland my wife came back with a tick on her belly :o I removed it, of course - with a chuckle - she wasn't so impressed :D

philaroman

our "nasty little boogers" come w/ a bonus: an extra-nasty, incurable bacterial infection...
beware, in case it makes its way across the pond