Gulf Shores Fishing Report

Started by Gobi King, November 24, 2018, 05:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

It was been a very hectic few months on the road for work. Lot of time on planes, airports and on the road. Grandma and I were looking forward to some salt water fishing off the piers in Gulf Shores AL.

1. Day 1 started with good White Trout, Croaker action off the South end of the pier off cut bait. Before that I tried to fly lining live bait (my 2nd time trying this) for Red fish under the pier without any success.
We had to reel in our fish very quickly as the smaller (4ft) sharks would be chasing them.

Day 2 Water was very muddy and there were a bunch of sharks. Daron, I was thinking of you when an eight footer took my live bait off the bottom and ran. My 80 lb leader cut off 2nd time the shark shook it's head. I was not happy I lost my last 3 oz sinker and 4x treble and my 100 lb ball bearing swivel  ;D. The guy next to me offered me a steel leader. I thanked him and passed on the offer and I packed up my baitrunner rod.

We called it a night and slept in and then pigged out at the breakfast buffet at the springhill on the wharf. We packed up and decided to hit Dauphin Island, called Deb at Cedar Point and she gave us some good news that the pier was loaded with Reds.

I stopped at the bait shop on the way and they were OUT of mullet, I mean out sold out.

The ends of the pier was full, I met Juan there and his buddy was wearing a Nebraska Husker hat (go huskers!), He gladly gave up his spot up for Grandma as I helped him repair his reel which had lost the pin in the handle. I was so proud of my reel repair skills. I set up grandma with her streamer sabiki rig for white trout and then took a bait fish from grandma's stash and walk down to find a spot to cast my red fish rig.

I cut up a pin fish in half and loaded up my 9/0 Gammy Octo with a 3 oz sinker (yeah I bought a dozen again at the bait store) and casted it about 50 ft off the pier to avoid tangles with others. Most of them were casting to the next county over and the tide/current was putting them to 2 o'clock position.

I clicked my Okuma baitrunner on and walk back to grandma to help dehook the white trout she was killing  ;D

10 mins or less, the first red hit my rod, quick fight and Juan's buddy helped me land it.

Took me a lot of fighting with the red to get my hook out of the fish's mouth plate, the dang fish bit my pinky!

I gave the fish to Juan.

Casted again close by with another piece of cut bait and a small mullet head I found laying on the pier rails. Bam, another red 5mins later. But I lost this one as the hook did not set or something.

Casted again with another bait fish cut in half, fish on again after 20 mins. This time the hook was way down in the mouth, gentleman from New Orleans helped me take it out. I gave him my Red and thanked him.

For reds, I look  telescopic cat fish rod, glass rod, inexpensive, short and transported nicely in my honda ridgeline truck, The 55 size Okuma I had loaded with 16 lb line. It worked wonderfully.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gfish

Great report Gobi King! Nice pictures.
Hows about the weight on that Red?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

Nice catches Gobi!

I had an Okuma Coronado "bait-runner" way back when, same size as yours. The frame flexed like rubber but I caught many trophies with it, including my personal best snook of 46".

Way to go on those reds.

ChileRelleno

Nice fishing, looks like y'all were giving them a hard time. 8)

I'm right here in Mobile, I'd love to came down, said "Hi"and fished with y'all.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Benni3

Gobi :D fabulous job,,,,it had to but up a great fight  ;D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Nice report, Thanks Gobi for the photos, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

Nice report, and a great red !!  Wife and I are heading out for D.I. next Saturday...weather permitting, so I *should* be fishing by Monday afternoon !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Quote from: Gfish on November 24, 2018, 05:44:01 PM
Great report Gobi King! Nice pictures.
Hows about the weight on that Red?

1st one was 22 and 2nd one was 19 lb  ;D
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: nelz on November 24, 2018, 05:45:25 PM
Nice catches Gobi!

I had an Okuma Coronado "bait-runner" way back when, same size as yours. The frame flexed like rubber but I caught many trophies with it, including my personal best snook of 46".

Way to go on those reds.

Yeah, they do flex a little, I have a few of the Coronados, never fished them, but I love the baitrunner feature, few of the folks on the pier were confused with bait runner feature.
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: ChileRelleno on November 24, 2018, 06:09:16 PM
Nice fishing, looks like y'all were giving them a hard time. 8)

I'm right here in Mobile, I'd love to came down, said "Hi"and fished with y'all.

Chile, Sure, sounds like a plan, I work for the university hospital there so I am down there a often for work. I will pm you my cellphone #. Grandma wants to head back down there again to fish!
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 24, 2018, 11:24:05 PM
Nice Red Gobi!

Check out the shark the guy next to me caught, he was reeling in a white trout and his reel went parabolic.

He did not want to cut his line , it came off his line as he was hand lining up to the deck
Fichigan

Rivverrat