Spinning spool bearing support?

Started by DEA, November 25, 2018, 06:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEA

Hi fellas, can you please the benefit(s) of a spool support bearing/bushing as applied to spinning reels?

Does the size of the bearing/bushing matter?

For example, my Stradic 4000FA had a support bushing which I replaced with a bearing.

The bearing/bushing is roughly the diameter of a dime.

I looked at a Daiwa Fuego 4000LT and it has a bearing but it's only as big as a handle bearing.

So what am I gaining and/or loosing?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

exp2000

I have kept an eye out for info to explain any significant advantage spinning reel spool bearings might offer but have yet to find anything realistically positive.

You can find all manner of spurious opinions on the internet but you should always bear one fact in mind: the ONLY time this bearing ever gets utilized is when line is being pulled from the spool under load.

Since the spool drag system is offering a ton of resistance under these circumstances, I cannot see any practical advantage of incorporating a bearing here and I cannot imagine what designers might be trying to achieve other than boasting a higher bearing count.

But don't take my word for it - Alan Hawke also believes it offers no advantage whatsoever.
~

Tiddlerbasher

On most of my spinners I have replaced spool bearings with oilite bushings - less future problems and easier serving. I have never found a downside to using bushings in spinner spools.

philaroman

1) smoother drag -- insignificant, but may come into play more if the shaft is inadequately lubed

2) reduce/prevent wear on the spool (inside bore) -- insignificant, unless the reel is made to last decades

NOTE: no such thing as a "Stradic 4000FA" -- you left out the "Ci4" part

alantani

in general, replacing a bearing with bushing takes away nothing.  it may not have an added benefit, but it takes away nothing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

If both are kept clean I cant believe there is a noticeable difference between the two. On lighter spinning reels. Because of its location & how & where I fish I would want a sealed bearing if used. 

I cant help but think a bushing would wear more with the heavy spinners out today & the force of their heavy drag. But they are cheap & easily replaced. A side note the 50's era DAM Quick spinning reels use manganese bronze bushings for the handle & for support of the lower shaft. Out of the 100 more of these reels I've gone through I've never seen these bushings worn out. Our own Fred & Alan Hawks agrees with these findings

However the spool is supported by a bearing. Only seen one of these very well made bearings that were bad. Fred who has worked on more of these Quicks than I will in my life time I believe claims to have never found a bad or worn out bearing.

While bearing or bushing here doesn't matter much to me I think it is of of worthy mention that DAM Quick Reels use a bearing for spool support. The greatest praise I can bestow on any reel is this..... with proper care & outside of minimal maintenance you wont wear these reels out in your life time. What other 50 - 60 year old spinner can make that claim... Jeff

foakes

We may be talking about (2) different bearings & bushings.

Typically, many spinners have a pinion gear bearing (or bushing) — whether a full worm-drive pinion gear or a half pinion gear like on Daiwas & Mitchells.

A spool bearing is an extra bearing that is only active when the drag is allowing line to go out.  It is attached to the spool and/or spool spindle arbor assembly, usually.

While possibly useful under some limited applications — fairly unnecessary 99% of the time — and at those 1% times a bushing will do just fine.

Anytime, an additional mechanical device is needed (?) to support either marketing claims or sleeker, blingier appearances — it is just another layer of parts to fail, IMO.

Sometimes we are past the point of no return — when it comes to simple, basic, proven, and durable — compared to modern, sleeker, and engineering (marketing department) features built-in to sell reels.

This is true in today's disposable society when it comes to vehicles, electronics, appliances, and even fishing reels.

A fish doesn't care if it is caught on a basic, tough, 60 year old reel — or the latest Tupperware Marvel built to attract a new generation of anglers.

The funny thing is — many of our newer anglers will not use or buy an old school reel unless it has more features — even if those features are built in primarily for "easier wallet opening" — and not for function...

Just my biased opinions...🙂🙂🙂

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

I guess I'm confused. Are bearings in the spools shaft area whats being discussed or a bearing bushing for shaft support directly below the spool ?  The last is what I though was the topic. Being more direct I believe a bearing is needed here... Jeff 

philaroman

good question...
I was thinking of spool bearings/bushings in the top and/or bottom of the spool
VS. nothing at all -- just a straight bore through the center

Rivverrat

Yup thats it. The bearings or bushings that go directly in the spool

Tiddlerbasher

My comment was specifically about bearings/bushings in the spool itself.