Installing Squidder AR dog/spring- my head plate does not match tutorial???

Started by thorhammer, January 23, 2016, 04:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catching Nemo

Hi guys,

Bringing this thread back up.  See thorhammer's second post above with the picture.

I just acquired a Squidder with the same pin for the dog spring.  See my pic below.

Is this how the dog and spring are supposed to seat against the pin?  Seems like the spring would be inclined to slide off that itty-bitty pin....

sdlehr

Quote from: Catching Nemo on December 11, 2018, 08:15:20 PM
Seems like the spring would be inclined to slide off that itty-bitty pin....
Is the pin long enough to make contact with the bridge plate and thus prevent the spring from slipping off the end?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

I like having an on/off AR feature on my Squidder. The outside lever is good, but the cam with the dog actuating pin,  the spring, that stupid spring-pin are not what I'd expect from Penn engineering.
Come-on somea you fertile minded engineering guys, this system can be improved! I got nothing...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Catching Nemo

Quote from: sdlehr on December 11, 2018, 08:28:06 PM
Quote from: Catching Nemo on December 11, 2018, 08:15:20 PM
Seems like the spring would be inclined to slide off that itty-bitty pin....
Is the pin long enough to make contact with the bridge plate and thus prevent the spring from slipping off the end?

Thanks Sid.  I was actually thinking that the side to side movement of the dog would slip the spring off the pin, either to the left or to the right of the pin in my pic. The spring itself is not physically attached to the pin. The spring is just pressed against the pin.

I guess another way of looking at it is that this reel has survived decades of use. And so as wacky as it looks with the spring just pressing against the pin, the setup must work ok?

sdlehr

Dude, you're going to have all of us opening up all of our squidders any time now. My workbench is too much of a mess right now. Maybe later in the week.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

I forgot about this but found a fix....Cortez Conversions had the perfect part....

bhale1

Yep,
I agree with John...Tom has the perfect fix ;D

Brett

But, in all seriousness, the bridge plate held it down in stock configuration.

oc1

Once everything is in place it will not go anywhere.  Promise.  The hard part is getting everything in place without it jumping away.  You need to be proficient with Alan's method of holding the AR and pinion as the bridge is rotated into place.
-steve