Fishing after a snow storm

Started by Gobi King, November 28, 2018, 05:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Air Temp = 31F
Water Temp = 38F
Wind Speed = 12 to 20 knots
Fish on = Priceless  ;D

Grandma and I had a bit of cabin fever sitting at home. It had stopped snowing for a couple of days but there was a some lake effect snow in forecast, we have 5 to 7 inches on the ground.
We made a few sandwiches and packed out gear and got on road to the lake Michigan pier in Muskegon.

We got there right before sunset, there we met Chris,  who was getting setup to fish. My pier net would not extent as it was frozen stuck.

The wind was not back any where from 5 knots to 10 knots, my finger was getting a little numb from taking off the ice from the rod tips with my bare fingers  :D

Grandma kept getting fish after fish, I mean I did not get done cutting the gills in the bucket as she would call out "fish on". Chris helped me net a few of the fish, he had to get down to knees to reach down to net the fish.

Chris left after an hour and another fisherman, Walt, fished next to us. Walt has been going down to Gulf Shores for the last 25 years in Spring,  talk about a small world, we chatted about fishing in Gulf Shores, AL. Walt left at 730 pm to watch the Spartan basketball game and so did grandma and I was it was very slow fishing.

Fish landed 6, 1 tossed back as it was foul hooked.
1 fish went home with Chris and 1 with Walt.
Now, I have 3 fish I need to fillet  ;D

That is Chris  in the green camo and grandma in her chair in orange.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

One plus of fishing after a snow storm in 30F temps is that you don't have to buy ice, think of the $$$ savings  ::)

Fichigan

xjchad

Sounds like great fun!
What species are those?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gobi King

Quote from: xjchad on November 28, 2018, 05:55:56 PM
Sounds like great fun!
What species are those?

Whitefish, the fiercest Lake Michigan game fish  :D
Fichigan

Benni3

Great job and very nice looking fish :D glad to see someone else out in the cold fishing  ;D

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Poached whitefish with olive oil, garlic and parsley.  MMMMmm  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

The Italian twist  ;) ;D....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gobi King

Quote from: Benni3 on November 28, 2018, 11:03:41 PM
Great job and very nice looking fish :D glad to see someone else out in the cold fishing  ;D

Winter is the best time to fish in Michigan (that is if you find open waters). We had to call it quits as the wind picked up and the sleet/ice was hitting me in the face and jigging was not fun anymore plus fishing was super slow.

Yesterday it was 27F, we stayed home. As I have aged my peripheral circulation has diminished a lot. My fingers get cooooold quickly.

The worst part is taking my glove off, I need to cut my glove index finger and thumb and make it swing off and on like those high end fishing gloves. I use el-cheapo winter gloves from Menards
Fichigan

Crow

Fishing the Gulf has spoiled me!  I used to fish, almost everyday ........if there was open water, it was good, if not, I drilled holes in the ice!  Now, I'd much rather sit in my chair, wiggle my feet in the sand, and soak up the sun....getting old, I guess.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

I'm not a big fan of orvis,,,,but I did get a pair of gloves with the fingers cut out and you could fold the mitten over ,,,got them at there orvis outlet store  >:( they were two left gloves  ???,,,,,,but that was better because I use my left hand to feel the line :D it's works great with a pocket warmers  ;D