Ocean City 609 9/0 unplated spool?

Started by 1badf350, November 29, 2018, 12:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

???So i got this very minty 609 with box. Everything about the reel is clean. I got worried when i got a close look at the spool and noticed it was discolored.
Upon closer inspection it seems it was never chrome plated.  ???
Has anybody familiar with Ocean City reels ever seen this? Pictures comparing it to my other 9/0 that is plated.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Reel 224

I'll never fish for big fish, but I would love to own that Ocean City Reel. That is a beauty..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Almost looks like the spool could be SS.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

There sure are a lot of "milling" marks on that spool but the marks are not all perpendicular which could indicate there was some hand work involved.  My wild guess is that someone chucked up a corroded spool and sanded off the plating and corrosion.

It does look a bit like stainless or another alloy with a lot of nickel in it.
-steve

[language edited to suit the audience]

Reel 224

Quote from: oc1 on November 29, 2018, 06:03:07 AM
There sure are a lot of milling marks on that spool.  My wild-#### guess is that someone chucked up a corroded spool and ground off the plating and pitting. 
-steve

Steve. Remember the 12 year old rule?  Swag is a better expression then  My wild-#### guess. just saying ;) ;D...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

1badf350

Those striations are seen on the plated reels as well, I just didnt post a close up of it.
Thanks to John Taylor for posting the link to that Orca thread. I see mine is not the only one to leave the factory without a finish.

Here is a picture of the same striations on the finished spool
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"