DAIWA 7850 HRLA

Started by basto, November 29, 2018, 01:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi guys
I bought one of these and it should arrive in about 6 days. I found the schematic for it, but does not show the drag assembly.
It was made approx 1975 and has a worm drive gear train. It holds 300yds 20lb mono and this high speed version is 4.5:1 gear ratio.
The unusual red rotor is original colour according to the seller.
Can't wait to get inside and view the mechanism.
If anyone is familiar with this model, any info about it will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

Interesting reel.  I'm not familiar with this particular model, but the 7000 series from the 1970s is, by reputation, a fairly well thought of bunch of reels.  I gather the term "series" in this case does NOT imply a group of reels that look alike or are built the same (but just differ mainly in size), but merely a bunch of models all made around the same time.  The 7850 implies a pretty good sized reel, and a spool that holds 300yds. of 20 lb. test belies that.  I think the "H' in the name implies "high speed" and I'm wondering if the "RL" indicates a right/left retrieve set up (your pic shows the set up for a lefty); not sure about the "A" designation (maybe has ball bearings?)  Pretty sure there are others on this site that know quite a bit about these reels.

The color throws me; many/most of the reels in this "series" were either dark brown or beige, although your picture is the first I've seen of a 7850, so the color may certainly be correct.

I suppose your reel has the lettering on the back of the rotor stating engineered in California by Daiwa, made in Japan, like so many reels in this series do.

Frank

basto

Yes Frank, It does have the lettering you describe on the back of the rotor and the reel is ambidextrous. Would be interesting to find out what the A is for.
Thank you for your reply.
Greg

Midway Tommy

7850RL - 1967
7850HRL - 1969
7850HRLA - 1973
7850RLA - 1975

The differences between the RL & HRL are the pinion & main drive gear. All other parts are the same, although at least 10 of the other parts were modified.
The differences between the HRLA & RLA are the pinion, main drive gear, body & side plate/cover. All other parts are the same.

Never seen one with a silver body & red rotor before. I wonder if it was an Asian or European model? 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

Hi Tommy
Thanks for your reply. I might be able to find out more when I get my hands on it. I will post a couple of pics of the innards.
cheers
Greg

basto

Well it arrived and changed my thinking about a few things.

ThenI pulled it apart.

The drag was economical and I wondered why when the rest of the reel looked like it could be comfortable pulling at least 15lbs.

The anti reverse switch was most interesting. Never seen one like this before and seems to function well.

Next , insert main gear which I thought was quite soft and very worn, unlike the pinion gear which looked like bronze.

Next insert occillation  block.

and oscillation gear.

Then put the right plate on.

I thought this was a well engineered reel that could have been  better if some of the metals were of a higher grade.
When I was younger I always thought all worm drive spinners were great reels.
I had fun pulling it apart and am always learning.

Basto

mhc

The design of that AR switch is a first for me as well Greg, including the dog mounted perpendicular to the ratchet. Steve OC1 is right - you seem to uncover a lot of unusual interesting reels, keep it coming.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

basto

Hi Mike
Yes, sometimes I  buy a reel just to see what makes it tick if it is cheap enough.
Greg

Midway Tommy

Nice resto & review, Greg. Is there any room for additional washers in that spool?

I agree with you regarding the soft main gear. I always felt a lot of the Japanese made reels from the late '60s and later really compromised their quality by using pot metal/alloy gearing. Many of them could have easily been high quality reels had they up graded the gear metals just a little bit.

That anti-reverse setup is similar to the ABU Cardinal design except for the button activation. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

Hi Tommy
You could probably drill out the spool a bit deeper for more drag washers. It has a teflon under the spool and a teflon at bottom of spool and then a keyed washer with retainer clip on top and then spool cap. Very simple.
Yes, I think any anti reverse that works on the pinion is better than one that works on the main gear.
Greg

The Fishing Hobby

I recently picked up one of these myself. When I get to it I will let you know if I find any significant differences between mine and yours. It will probably be another week or two before I have time to mess with it but I will be sure to let you know.

basto

I am looking forward to seeing it.
Basto

basto

Quote from: mhc on December 05, 2018, 08:47:32 AMThe design of that AR switch is a first for me as well Greg, including the dog mounted perpendicular to the ratchet. Steve OC1 is right - you seem to uncover a lot of unusual interesting reels, keep it coming.
Mike

The anti reverse mechanism is the only Daiwa from this era that has this a/r system.
Even the 8700 and 8600 have the ratchet for the a/r on the Drive gear.
I also noticed the 7850 HRLA is recommended for 20lb line like the 8700.It is only 15lb line for the 8600.
Another thing I noticed on this 7850 is the occilation setup is different to the others close to it.
Greg