Broken Screw

Started by grekim, November 30, 2018, 01:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

I picked up a Delmar 285 which is in excellent shape and with HT 100 drags EXCEPT a previous owner broke off the head of a frame post screw and glued it back in the hole.  It's actually a little more complicated.  Part of the screw is in the frame post, the middle of the screw is lodged in the nonhandle side plate, and the head just fell out.
So, what to do?
1.  I could ignore the whole thing and fish without that post since it would be light duty anyway. 
2.  I could glue the post and put it on the shelf. 
3.  I could try to drill through the piece stuck in the side plate, possibly wrecking the plate.  I think a spare LB 60 post and screw (which I have) might be the same part.

I am leaning toward option 3, but I am not sure if I need a special drill bit.  I do not have a drill press.  Actually, maybe my old fashioned hand drill might be the ticket.
Educating fish on every trip

akfish

The LB60 post will fit just fine. Stick it in and toss the original post if you can't get the old screw out.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

grekim

I saved the plate with a 1/8" drill bit.  I think just the slight twisting of the bit and/or pressure popped it out.   But, I don't think I will waste time on the post even though they are $6 each.    Good to know the LB 60 post will work.  Thanks.
Educating fish on every trip