AX 300

Started by Scattergun2570, December 01, 2018, 06:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

So I dug out old reels I never junked..I'm sure no one serviced it.,so I figure why not? Anyway..this crosspin is stopping me from being able to get the rotor off..what can I do to get the pin out?

foakes

Just need to remove the entire spool shaft by opening up the sideplate and removing the pin, screw, or keeper holding the shaft in.

Remove the shaft — then the rotor will come off.

With most modern spinner disassemblies — pop off the spool — remove the crank handle — open up the sideplate — remove the spool shaft keeper — remove the rotor nut & rotor — then decide how much farther you plan on going.  All of this takes just a couple of minutes.

No need to remove the cross pin.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: foakes on December 01, 2018, 06:24:23 AM
Just need to remove the entire spool shaft by opening up the sideplate and removing the pin, screw, or keeper holding the shaft in.

Remove the shaft — then the rotor will come off.

With most modern spinner disassemblies — pop off the spool — remove the crank handle — open up the sideplate — remove the spool shaft keeper — remove the rotor nut & rotor — then decide how much farther you plan on going.  All of this takes just a couple of minutes.

No need to remove the cross pin.

Ok ...I'll try it..thanks,,hope things are good on your end..R

Best,

Fred

philaroman

that's pretty much a permanent crossbar -- not a pin to be removed each service
reversed disassembly sequence: do the gearbox, first; pull the shaft out the top; get under the rotor, last
[NOTE: sometimes, because of extra grime or stupid design, you have to loosen the the nut & let the rotor dangle, before you can pry off the sideplate...  PITA, but still easier than trying to remove that "pin"]

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 01, 2018, 10:39:26 AM
that's pretty much a permanent crossbar -- not a pin to be removed each service
reversed disassembly sequence: do the gearbox, first; pull the shaft out the top; get under the rotor, last
[NOTE: sometimes, because of extra grime or stupid design, you have to loosen the the nut & let the rotor dangle, before you can pry off the sideplate...  PITA, but still easier than trying to remove that "pin"]

Thanks...the side plate came off easy...but I haven't disassembled yet..

philaroman

sorry, the "stupid design" dig applies to much later Malaysian rear-drag (Spirex?) -- not your reel

when you disassemble, go slow & take pics (esp. the rear drag) -- if I recall, there are parts you DON'T want to flip & the schematic is too fuzzy to show which way they go!

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 02, 2018, 12:41:34 AM
sorry, the "stupid design" dig applies to much later Malaysian rear-drag (Spirex?) -- not your reel

when you disassemble, go slow & take pics (esp. the rear drag) -- if I recall, there are parts you DON'T want to flip & the schematic is too fuzzy to show which way they go!

I've never been inside a rear drag reel,,maybe I should leave that part alone.

philaroman

1) best to take a look -- who knows what's in there after 30 yrs.?

2) if you leave it alone, the keyed parts will likely get misaligned after you take the spool shaft out -- might be tough to wiggle it back in

3) is exact model "AX 300Q"?  ...schematic is surprisingly clear, for an oldie: http://dunphysports.com/forms/warranty/schematic/ax300q.pdf
...and drag is an impressive 6-stack+1 -- upgrade to CF, and you get a BEAST

P.S., your older post mentioned you want braid; line-lay won't be great; IMO, go 40-50# so diameter is closer to intended mono line-class

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 02, 2018, 04:00:20 AM
1) best to take a look -- who knows what's in there after 30 yrs.?

2) if you leave it alone, the keyed parts will likely get misaligned after you take the spool shaft out -- might be tough to wiggle it back in

3) is exact model "AX 300Q"?  ...schematic is surprisingly clear, for an oldie: http://dunphysports.com/forms/warranty/schematic/ax300q.pdf
...and drag is an impressive 6-stack+1 -- upgrade to CF, and you get a BEAST

P.S., your older post mentioned you want braid; line-lay won't be great; IMO, go 40-50# so diameter is

closer to intended mono line-class

Actually,no it's an AX 300..I have an AX 300Q,,this is a bit different.

philaroman

very similar rear drags

also, I'm guessing both reels have plastic bushings on the main gear, which are prob. brittle after 30 yrs.

bearings (or brass bushings, for S/W) would be a nice upgrade

pretty sure it's the most common Shimano size (7 X 13 X 4 mm), but check

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 03, 2018, 05:37:30 AM
very similar rear drags

also, I'm guessing both reels have plastic bushings on the main gear, which are prob. brittle after 30 yrs.

bearings (or brass bushings, for S/W) would be a nice upgrade

pretty sure it's the most common Shimano size (7 X 13 X 4 mm), but check

Yes plastic bushings...I can't imagine these were expensive reels...wpyou would really consider adding bearings? I can't imagine these being worth much.

philaroman

if you're going to use the reels -- why not?  ...makes them smoother & stronger

guess I'm thinking from my own perspective: I have too many later models w/ dead gears & perfectly good bearings -- plenty of spares

I've also fixed & sold quite a few -- "upgraded to maximum bearing count" is a good selling point

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 03, 2018, 01:24:53 PM
if you're going to use the reels -- why not?  ...makes them smoother & stronger

guess I'm thinking from my own perspective: I have too many later models w/ dead gears & perfectly good bearings -- plenty of spares

I've also fixed & sold quite a few -- "upgraded to maximum bearing count" is a good selling point

Well, I will think about it,but the bearings will probably be worth more than the reel lol.
Anyway,I took the gearbox apart,and the first small issue..the end of the shaft running through the main gear,had some pretty significant burr,preventing me from sliding the bushing off. Sandpaper wrapped around it took care of that in about 10 seconds. So now that I have the bushings off,how do you degrease plastic parts? I use brake cleaner to degrease metal,but wouldn't use it on plastic. So what should I use?

philaroman

many options:

1) dishsoap + elbow grease  :)  Dawn Power Clean + old tooth brush

2) Fred says, Simple Green -- I wouldn't doubt him

3) WD40 soak w/ thorough water rinse (WD40 residue degrades grease)

4) oil soak, but don't waste reel oil -- sewing machine oil is MUCH cheaper

...if "some pretty significant burr" was S/W pitting, DEFINITELY open/inspect rear drag

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 04, 2018, 04:05:46 AM
many options:

1) dishsoap + elbow grease  :)  Dawn Power Clean + old tooth brush

2) Fred says, Simple Green -- I wouldn't doubt him

3) WD40 soak w/ thorough water rinse (WD40 residue degrades grease)

4) oil soak, but don't waste reel oil -- sewing machine oil is MUCH cheaper

...if "some pretty significant burr" was S/W pitting, DEFINITELY open/inspect rear drag

Ok ,but how should I approach disassembly of this section..not familiar at all with this type of system.