AX 300

Started by Scattergun2570, December 01, 2018, 06:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

that's just basic old-school A/R ratchet/dog (aka, pawl) with disengaging "silent" dog
the top wire spring keeps the reel from going clunk, clunk, clunk as you retrieve

it just looks goofy because the self-centering ratchet only has one tooth, so the FastCast (aka, QuickFire) trigger returns right under your finger

before disassembly, play around with turning the A/R on/off & turn the pinion in both directions, by hand, to contemplate how it functions

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 04, 2018, 04:57:16 AM
that's just basic old-school A/R ratchet/dog (aka, pawl) with disengaging "silent" dog
the top wire spring keeps the reel from going clunk, clunk, clunk as you retrieve

it just looks goofy because the self-centering ratchet only has one tooth, so the FastCast (aka, QuickFire) trigger returns right under your finger

before disassembly, play around with turning the A/R on/off & turn the pinion in both directions, by hand, to contemplate how it functions

I was just wondering if taking the two screws out that hold the pinion in,,would be enough..or does the screw holding the dog in place have to come out as well...that wire is my concern.

philaroman

just take it off, GENTLY!  it's a spring -- it springs back to original shape

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 04, 2018, 07:39:38 PM
just take it off, GENTLY!  it's a spring -- it springs back to original shape

Well I completed servicing it,,and of course,just like every spinning reel I have serviced,it feels worse than it did before I tore it down.  A bit more geary,,and also,,I tore down the drag,,and it was very black coated ,I guess old grease,,looked like real old motor oil..some sand as well,,but when I put it back together,the clicking sound when adjusting the rear drag has pretty much disappeared,,,I don't think it was supposed to lol..so what did I do?

philaroman

check the Drag Click is not bent & properly installed
part #876  for AX-300 (1987)
RD-1559  for AX-300Q (1988)
RD-1937  for AX-300Q (1989)

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 05, 2018, 09:55:10 PM
check the Drag Click is not bent & properly installed
part #876  for AX-300 (1987)
RD-1559  for AX-300Q (1988)
RD-1937  for AX-300Q (1989)

I haven't checked it out yet,,but I just realized that the self centering mechanism,doesn't work ..although I am not sure if this reel had that feature In the first place,,do you know?

philaroman

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 11, 2018, 07:27:37 AMI haven't checked it out yet,,but I just realized that the self centering mechanism, doesn't work

completely "doesn't work", or stops in the wrong place?

if I remember, after a few rushed reassembles, the rotor centered/stopped half turn (180*) from where it should...  don't remember which part I had to flip/rotate, but it was easy to figure out

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 11, 2018, 07:27:37 AM
although I am not sure if this reel had that feature In the first place,,do you know?

ALL Shimano with FastCast/QuickFire casting trigger have one-point, self-centering A/R -- that's how they work

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on December 11, 2018, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 11, 2018, 07:27:37 AMI haven't checked it out yet,,but I just realized that the self centering mechanism, doesn't work

completely "doesn't work", or stops in the wrong place?

if I remember, after a few rushed reassembles, the rotor centered/stopped half turn (180*) from where it should...  don't remember which part I had to flip/rotate, but it was easy to figure o
Ye
Quote from: Scattergun2570 on December 11, 2018, 07:27:37 AM

although I am not sure if this reel had that feature In the first place,,do you know?

ALL Shimano with FastCast/QuickFire casting trigger have one-point, self-centering A/R -- that's how they work

Yeah 180 degrees out..what did I do?

philaroman

going by the clear '88 300-Q schematic (same parts/names; dif. #'s)
& distant memory, so not 100%...

I believe the ratchet (RD-1604) is keyed to the pinion (RD-1609), so it can go on one of two ways

if it were a normal ratchet w/ teeth all around, it wouldn't matter which way

BUT, a self-centering ratchet can be installed with its one single tooth to either side,
which moves the rotor stop-point 180 degrees

...remember, I did warn you about flipping parts