My first Penn 349 Master Mariner Build

Started by Darin Crofton, December 01, 2018, 07:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

She's a beaut Darin ! I've got a Black NIB 349H that I'm gathering parts for .  I hope when done mine looks as good as yours...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Darin Crofton

Quote from: CooldadE on December 18, 2018, 05:08:36 PM
She's a beaut Darin ! I've got a Black NIB 349H that I'm gathering parts for .  I hope when done mine looks as good as yours...

Cool
Thank you! Motive Fab has an insert drag kit for the h model, I just put one in my 349h and it seems very strong. Good luck with yours, posts some pics when you're finished!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

redsetta

Great work Darin.
Also agree with Fred's comment:
QuoteWith your skill and chosen materials — it is a reel to be used over multiple generations.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes out on the water!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Darin Crofton

Quote from: redsetta on December 19, 2018, 08:05:06 PM
Great work Darin.
Also agree with Fred's comment:
QuoteWith your skill and chosen materials — it is a reel to be used over multiple generations.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes out on the water!
All the best, Justin
Thank you, Justin! Will be using it soon once I get through the holiday rush!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Cuttyhunker

Re: You left thumb
After the war some of the charter boat skippers chasing stripers around Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vineyard went to the Penn 49 over the 4/0.  The wider 4/0 was more difficult to thumb spool especially for the smaller handed ladies.  Monel and SS single strand wire was the preferred trolling setup, and that is what Penn touted the 49's design purpose to be.  Much of the fishing was night trolling and after some injuries due to the wrong eccentric excitedly being thrown in the dark many dog release levers were removed and replaced with washers or the lever was just cut off and returned to the reel, now only adjustable with pliers. The 49 was better for the level wind, but they still came in loaded on one side too. 
Doomed from childhood