What do you consider vintage?

Started by Reel Beaker, December 02, 2018, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi there,
           Recently i found my local tackle shop selling some old model budget okuma reels. Primarily the Okuma Centrific. One site label it as "vintage", and that surprises me. What do people consider vintage? Since it is going cheap, i will most probably buy it tomorrow to experiment and practice servicing reels.
           Does anyone has the reel schematics of this reel? How come a reel at such a low price from Okuma can have 6 bearings in it? To be honest, i am buying it for the bearing count.

conchydong

"vintage" usually refers to the year or period something was made such as a wine. When it is used to refer to something old, there isn't any real reference point. For me, I would classify something like a fishing reel to be "vintage" if it was at least 40 or 50 years old.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: conchydong on December 02, 2018, 01:07:16 PM
"vintage" usually refers to the year or period something was made such as a wine. When it is used to refer to something old, there isn't any real reference point. For me, I would classify something like a fishing reel to be "vintage" if it was at least 40 or 50 years old.

How do i know its age?

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel Beaker on December 02, 2018, 01:10:48 PM

How do i know its age?
That's part of what this hobby is about! You look at old advertisements and catalogs, talk to people here with additional information, and figure out how old the reel most likely is. Usually, it comes down to a range of a few years unless there is some special feature that can narrow it down further.

"Vintage", like "rare", has different meanings to different people.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

philaroman

about 10 yrs. ago, you couldn't spit on eBay without hitting a Centrific
got one in a lot w/ other reels -- felt nice, 'til the clutch housing crumbled

pretty sure Centrific was made by Okuma as OEM for someone else (Dick's Sporting Goods?)
not up to usual standards; full of cheap plastic; no spare parts or support from Okuma

if it's really dirt-cheap, buy several in same size -- you may need them for parts...  SOON!

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on December 02, 2018, 02:13:16 PM
about 10 yrs. ago, you couldn't spit on eBay without hitting a Centrific
got one in a lot w/ other reels -- felt nice, 'til the clutch housing crumbled

pretty sure Centrific was made by Okuma as OEM for someone else (Dick's Sporting Goods?)
not up to usual standards; no spare parts or support from Okuma

if it's really dirt-cheap, buy several in same size -- you may need them for parts...  SOON!

The centrific is a bad reel?

philaroman

all affordable "Dick's Exclusive" models are bad reels w/ good names...   full of cheap plastic

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on December 02, 2018, 02:42:07 PM
all affordable "Dick's Exclusive" models are bad reels w/ good names...   full of cheap plastic

Oh! I thought anything with a good brand name has some quality behind it. x.x
Apparently i was wrong x.x

akfish

Most current Okuma reels are excellent reels. But before Okuma did a major restructuring a decade or so ago, they were extremely low quality. Extremely.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Reel Beaker

Quote from: akfish on December 02, 2018, 04:59:23 PM
Most current Okuma reels are excellent reels. But before Okuma did a major restructuring a decade or so ago, they were extremely low quality. Extremely.

So vintage Okuma reels are actually bad?

foakes

Quote from: Reel Beaker on December 02, 2018, 05:36:53 PM
Quote from: akfish on December 02, 2018, 04:59:23 PM

So vintage Okuma reels are actually bad?

Only if you want to fish them...otherwise they look great on a shelf.  IMO

😁😁😁

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Too many sellers consider "vintage" to be a label for used up trash.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

festus

I consider anything pre-1970 as vintage.

Gfish

To me "vintage" refers to an era when quality existed for some given product, such as wine, like conchydong said. Todays better Okuma reels may someday be vintage fishing products, as all companies tend to rise and fall in capitalization and quality of production.
Overall, for me vintage is many of the better reels produced by the name brand companies pre-1985. They have more steel and rubber, less plastic and composites. Sometime in the future, I think my recently produced Accurate and Avet conventionals, and my Shimano FJ Stratic spinners will be vintage.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

grekim

Quote from: Reel Beaker on December 02, 2018, 01:10:48 PM

How do i know its age?

I guess I am vintage then.   Not sure if that is a good thing.
Educating fish on every trip