4400SS handle gap

Started by elcarlstono, November 28, 2018, 09:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Hi, long time listener first time caller.
I bought this 4400SS to have a project for me and my son, and it has this gap where the handle meets the body.  Is this standard or is this the wrong handle?

Also, I need a part called the "thrust washer (teflon)".  Mystic wants $.60 for it, but $5.50 to ship it which I'm not paying.  Anybody know an alternative supply for these, or how to make one?
Thanks.

alantani

Quote from: elcarlstono on November 28, 2018, 09:46:12 PM
Hi, long time listener first time caller.
I bought this 4400SS to have a project for me and my son, and it has this gap where the handle meets the body.  Is this standard or is this the wrong handle?

Also, I need a part called the "thrust washer (teflon)".  Mystic wants $.60 for it, but $5.50 to ship it which I'm not paying.  Anybody know an alternative supply for these, or how to make one?
Thanks.

do you have dimensions for the washer?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

elcarlstono

I do not.  I'll see if the same part is on my 4500ssg

foakes

When you get is the measurements inside diameter & outside diameter, if Alan doesn't have one — I might.

Glad to help, if possible...

Teflon by nature is slippery and stiff at the same time.  These are very hard to cut cleanly.

Is your crank seated in all the way?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

elcarlstono

Washer is on there. I'm an idiot, false alarm.
Yes the crank is seated all the way. In fact if I just set that gold skirting piece into the side piece (either side) by itself (off the handle) it also sticks out the same.

elcarlstono

More pics

Shark Hunter

I think you have the incorrect handle or collar.
If you look at the penn part. Your collar base looks to be too long.
https://www.mysticparts.com/16-4400-Collar-Handle-Collar-P729.aspx
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 29, 2018, 03:47:24 AM
I think you have the incorrect handle or collar.
If you look at the penn part. Your collar base looks to be too long.
https://www.mysticparts.com/16-4400-Collar-Handle-Collar-P729.aspx

I'm not so sure about the collar being too long. Both Mystic's and elcarlstono's examples look like the recess portion is right at 1/4". There are only 8 parts across that mechanism: handle, bushing/collar, sideplate, bearing, main gear, bearing, body & cap. There are no shims, spacers or washers. Something is definitely amiss. Check inside and make sure the bearings are completely seated and the main gear assembly is installed correctly. When you take it apart snap & post some pictures.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

elcarlstono

I think I agree with Shark Hunter; mystic's looks just a pinch shorter than mine, in the inset area where it counts.  There's not a lot of variance in the assembly; the instant I put the bearings in to the case the collar stops short on them as you see in the pics; again, on both sides.
My knob is also stiff and I've got it soaking in some PB Blaster (tried vinegar first). If I can't get it freed up then I'll just have to order a whole new handle. If not, I'll order just the collar.
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Shark Hunter

Keep us posted how it works out.
Life is Good!

elcarlstono

Will do. I found a pretty good deal on the whole handle and it's on it's way.  I was not able to loosen up the knob to a satisfactory level (not for my 6 y/o son).

Midway Tommy

Quote from: elcarlstono on November 30, 2018, 02:10:57 PM
Will do. I found a pretty good deal on the whole handle and it's on it's way.  I was not able to loosen up the knob to a satisfactory level (not for my 6 y/o son).

Soak it in hot water for a couple of minutes, then turn it slowly with a drill while adding a little oil. Works for me every time. After it spins freely I lube it with ArmorAll.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

elcarlstono

Got the new handle and it fits perfectly . Now I just need to figure out what model the other one goes on.  I'm guessing a 4500.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: elcarlstono on December 06, 2018, 08:25:53 PM
Got the new handle and it fits perfectly . Now I just need to figure out what model the other one goes on.  I'm guessing a 4500.

Based on their schematics it's more than likely for the 4500 & 5500. Their part #s are the same & those for the 6500 & up look completely different.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE