550 & 330 with extra spools

Started by Gobi King, December 03, 2018, 07:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I found some old reels in town and I was able to meet the gentlemen yesterday to pick them up.

The reel belonged to his dad and he and I both choked up a little. I paid him what he wanted and shook his hand and parted.

The 550 came with a box and even has the golden wrapper, it looks like it has never been used.

The 330 has some wear and definitely has been used. The 330 came with an extra spool.

Pic below, I am going to dig into them tomorrow.

I keep the 550 as it in the box but I want to use the 330.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Nice story & the reels look good too.  The 330 looks like it has been apart before, as the emblem/cover is turned.

Frank

Gobi King

Frank, Thanks for spotting that

I open the cover and cleaned up all the old grease and re lubed it with some blue, no wear inside I can see.

I studied the schematic posted in another thread Fred has posted (Thanks) and here are my questions:

1. Bearings - How many bearings are there in total in a 330? I see one below the spool on the shaft. How about in the handle?
2. Line Roller - I took it apart, cleaned it and grease and oiled it, but it still does not turn freely when I try to rotate it with my finger
3. Drag stack - The drag works, I am going to take it outside and open it as I am concerned that there might be asbestos in the drag material. What kind a drag can I expect out of this reel? I am planning on loading it with sufix 12# line.

Fichigan

foakes

Quote from: Gobi King on December 12, 2018, 05:57:20 PM
Frank, Thanks for spotting that

I open the cover and cleaned up all the old grease and re lubed it with some blue, no wear inside I can see.

I studied the schematic posted in another thread Fred has posted (Thanks) and here are my questions:

1. Bearings - How many bearings are there in total in a 330? I see one below the spool on the shaft. How about in the handle?

One large main bearing...

2. Line Roller - I took it apart, cleaned it and grease and oiled it, but it still does not turn freely when I try to rotate it with my finger. 

Isn't designed to spin — made from tungsten carbide, so no grooving...

3. Drag stack - The drag works, I am going to take it outside and open it as I am concerned that there might be asbestos in the drag material. What kind a drag can I expect out of this reel? I am planning on loading it with sufix 12# line.

There isn't enough asbestos to kill a flea — however, whatever your comfort level allows, is best.  I have had thousands of DQ's completely apart — and know this to be true.  If you worked in the shipyards during WWII — asbestos would have been a problem if inhaled directly into your lungs over a period of time — maybe constantly working on the old fashioned brake linings of trucks and cars day after day — but not the tiny reel drags with small percentages of asbestos.  CF greased will improve your drag.
[/font]

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Danke!

I live in a house built in 1956 so I am sure there are a lot of asbestos'y stuff here.

Drag works fine, does not stick at all, I will replace drag with CF and check the difference.

OK, that is what I thought from looking at the schematic, only 1 bearing. I will service that next and the handle.

Wow, Tungsten Carbide, they mean business huh,

I am excited, I am going to load up the reel and go to the pier for some walleyes  ;D
Fichigan