HX 5/2

Started by Marlinmate, January 03, 2019, 04:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Is it possible to get just a drag washer for this reel without ordering a new spool w/drag attached?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

Quote from: Marlinmate on January 03, 2019, 04:32:59 AM
Is it possible to get just a drag washer for this reel without ordering a new spool w/drag attached?

they have to have them, but you'd have to call and ask if they would sell you one.  i just epoxy the drag washer to the original spool but i don't think they want people doing that. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mike1010

They used to list and sell the drag washer separately.  At least the listing part changed when the new schematics were issued (with different part numbers from the old!).  Please let us know how you do getting the washer alone.

akfish

Unless your current drag washer is torn or shredding, you really ought to be able to clean it, rough it slightly and then grease it throughly but lightly with Cal's drag grease. If you can't do that, just buy a new spool with an attached drag washer. Avet prices them very reasonably.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

sometimes corrosion bubbles up underneath, creating high spots and resulting in a jerky drag. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

Quote from: alantani on January 03, 2019, 07:27:53 PM
sometimes corrosion bubbles up underneath, creating high spots and resulting in a jerky drag. 

This is what is happening. 
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

xjchad

I replaced just the drag washer on an LX.
If you call them, they will sell you just the washer.
They just don't offer it that way on the website.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Keta

Wow, ya think greasing the drag washer might prevent this.... ;)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bhale1

Quote from: Keta on January 04, 2019, 03:21:22 AM

Wow, ya think greasing the drag washer might prevent this.... ;)

Yep...X2