Storage Drag Tension?

Started by Gfish, December 04, 2018, 09:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

How much drag tension can be left on star-drag conventionals and baitcasters during temporary and longer-term storage without compression damage to carbon fiber washers(ht-100, c-tex, smooth drag)?

Reason I ask is, some of my builds have a-lot of the various drag components crammed in there for better function and a fully opened star still leaves me with 2-5 ozs. of drag. I try to limit sanding the drag sleeve down, cause I don't think I can get the surface nice and even doin it by hand, plus the star's gotta have clearence when torqued towards lockdown(you know, those Penn head-plate spool bushings).

Am I overthinking this?

I am a cheapskate and would like to avoid havin to buy new washers if possible.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

Your fine.
Carbon fiber / glass laminates are not going to be smashed by a couple ounces, and your not going to displace the grease either.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Reel 224

I personalty leave my star drags and for that matter all me reels backed off for the winter season.............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fishy247

QuoteI personalty leave my star drags and for that matter all me reels backed off for the winter season.............................Joe

X2
Except that I try to do it after every trip because I have, in the past, forgotten about one of my reels and found it the following year with a locked up drag...

Mike

Tiddlerbasher

Midway Tommy

I'm with Mike but I leave just enough tension so that the knob doesn't come loose & fall off.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I have a terrible time remembering to back off the drags after fishing. Then...on the rare occasion I do remember to back it off...I forget to tighten it down on the next fishing trip. Nothing more embarrassing than setting the hook on a topwater frog and nearly upsetting the boat. :-[
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on December 05, 2018, 02:16:07 PM
   I have a terrible time remembering to back off the drags after fishing. Then...on the rare occasion I do remember to back it off...I forget to tighten it down on the next fishing trip. Nothing more embarrassing than setting the hook on a topwater frog and nearly upsetting the boat. :-[

LOL.  Let's examine the physics of that situation, Mo... ;D

Cor

Sounds like the two of us need to go and visit a doctor of sorts! :'( :'(

I often forget my drag set tight, that means at maximum for a number of days or weeks.   I've never noticed a problem, but then I don't need sensitive drag settings.     I usually fish with it at maximum!
Cornelis

Benni3

Last cast of the day >:( hung up ??? It's time to go anyway,,,,but sometimes I forget to back off the drag :-[  but it's really funny when I hook the first fish  ;D

Midway Tommy

If that's the case make sure you have your life jacket on, Mike!  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

boon

I leave my star drag reels at fishing pressure all the time. Just got to get out and use them more if you're worried :)
Lever drags I'll back off to just above freespool and engage the clicker to hold the spool, but that's because it only takes a second and I don't have to worry about resetting the drag next time I'm fishing.

alantani

If you have greased carbon fiber drags,  you can leave them button down forever.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on December 10, 2018, 03:15:45 PM
If you have greased carbon fiber drags,  you can leave them button down forever.
question ?,,,,calls 2 speed grease,,,,I should use that on my pflueger patriarch,,,torques 5,,706,,,,stuff I use every day  ;D

Fishy247

QuoteIf you have greased carbon fiber drags,  you can leave them button down forever.

It wasn't until I read this thread that I realized that I hadn't had my previously mentioned issue since I started greasing my drags with Cal's....