Newell P332F

Started by coastalwerks, December 11, 2018, 05:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalwerks

Hello Everyone:

I've been looking for a jig reel and came accross one of these but it has a problem.  I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction of repairing this.  Here's a message from the owner "the spool likes to get caught and make loud scratchy sounds but only when the spool tension is somewhat loose. Tightening the spool solves the issue but just cant really cast. And when it catches i dont really even have the spool that loose all it takes is a quarter turn on the knob and solves the issue. probably a simple fix but i dont even use the reel." "i used this reel for surface irons and it worked great, its just after i caught 2 yellows on it, it decided to expire."  Any idea on what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance, Lance

Swami805

I'd bet it's a bad bearing. If the price is ok it shouldn't be hard to fix. Not a lot of moving parts to fail, it it wasn't the victim of some kind of abuse and nothing is bent, service and maybe new bearings and you're good to go.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

coastalwerks

Thanks Swami805, I was just thinking the same thing possibly bearing.

reel man

Sounds like a spool spacing problem. Turn the reel on it's left side and spin the spool to see if it spins freely and is noise free. Then turn the reel on it's right side and spin the spool to see if it makes the noise. If it is rubbing try tightening the right side bearing cup and if was loose it may eliminate the noise with getting it tight (the right side bearing cup should always be tight. If this doesn't eliminate the noise then you'll need to remove the bearing cup and replace the plastic spool spacer with a thinner one.

spool spacer thickness:  red = .010
                                   blue = .020
                                   orange = .030
                                   white = .040
                                   black = .050

coastalwerks

Thanks Reel Man, were do you get spool spacers from?

reel man

I've got some. Pull your right side bearing cup and msg me what color your spacer is.

coastalwerks