Okuma Avenger First Gen

Started by Reel Beaker, December 06, 2018, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi Guys,
           As mentioned on my posts the other day, I bought an Okuma Avenger spinning reel(first generation) for cheap. I decided to start with the easiest part to service, the spool. Attached is the picture of the drag washers and plates.

https://imgur.com/a/hVDGmka

While pulling out the drag washers, i discovered that the first felt was a perfect rounded piece, while the last 2 pieces of felt has a cut that was curved inwards. Is this intentional? If i wanted to replace the drag washers with carbonex, do i need to cut this same exact shape for the last 2 washers?

I also noticed that there was a spool bearing on the underside of the spool. Pic as shown below.
https://imgur.com/a/hVDGmka

I am unable to remove the spool bearing from the spool using a tweezer. I am reluctant to use more force to try to remove this bearing for fear of bricking something. Is this bearing removable? I realize that there must be some kind of mechanism holding the bearing there so that it doesn't pop out, but i do not understand how it is being held there.

I have never serviced reels with a spool bearing so i am at a loss for this one.

Thanks.

alantani

it's possible that the bearing could be staked and will not come out easily.  

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

A spring clip is often used to retain the bearing on Okuma spinners without the dual force drag.

Reel Beaker

Upon closer examination, i realized that there was a circular ring with a cut in it in between the spool bearing and the brass component.
is this a spring clip?
Unfortunately it is hard to access the ring due to lack of real estate in the spool and the thickness of the metal of the tweezer.

Tiddlerbasher

I use something like a pointed dentist probe to 'ping' the spring clips out - be aware they fly ;)

Reel Beaker

I encountered another problem.
While trying to clean the anti-reverse bearings, the rollers start to fall out of the housing one-by-one. Is the bearing damaged now, or is it possible to fix back the rollers?
How do i clean this bearing, it is filthy and the rollers pop out so easily.
https://imgur.com/a/NYJ6u0s
How do i embed a imgur pic in my posts?

Three se7ens

Servicing okuma spinners of that timeframe is excruciating.  Best of luck on the A/R bearing.  You will need to get all of the rollers in place, but you cant use a heavy grease to "stick" them in place, because it will inhibit the operation.  Best I can recommend is position the reel so the A/R bearing is vertical, and drop the rollers in one by one with tweezers, and pray for them to stay put. 

alantani

here you go.  yeah, this one is toast......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Why I love the clicking of dogs! Sorry for your troubles.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"