A Quiet Sunday Morning — 77 Years Ago

Started by foakes, December 07, 2018, 02:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The true cost of freedom is not measured in money — because it is without price...

Instead, it is recorded by the acts of courage, bravery, sacrifice — and quiet truth demonstrated by soldiers, sailors, and airmen willing to give everything they have for the protection of their nation and loved ones...

All free nations are grateful today — for the "Greatest Generation" that answered the call — performing their mission of responding to tyranny — without regard for their own safety...

The world today, in spite of our complaints — is a much different and better place then it could have been — if the tyrants were allowed to reign...

This excerpt is from the Presidential Proclamation:

"Today, we remember all those killed on the island of Oahu on that fateful Sunday morning in 1941, and we honor the American patriots of the Greatest Generation who laid down their lives in the battles of World War II.  America is forever blessed to have strong men and women with exceptional courage who are willing and able to step forward to defend our homeland and our liberty."

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

El Pescador

"Lest We Never Forget..."

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/mt-diablo-beacon-pearl-harbor-summit-light-12414751.php   

http://www.savemountdiablo.org/activities/beacon-lighting-pearl-harbor-day/

On the night of Dec. 7, 1941 – 76 years ago today – the "Eye of Mount Diablo" went dark during the West Coast Blackout, a desperate attempt to ward of another airstrike.
The Beacon stayed dark until the same day in 1964, when Chester Nimitz, commander in chief of Pacific Forces during World War II, relighted the extinguished flame.

And that flame, the Light Beacon of Mt. Diablo was relighted and tonight, for those of us in the San Francisco Bay Area,

get outside after 5 pm and  look toward Mt. Diablo, Walnut Creek area for the light beacon.

Gary, Dominick and I will be here, on our back deck, watching and remembering Dec. 7, 1941

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

STRIPER LOU

Fred, thank you for that posting!

There's been a lot of DAV's at both the shopping centers and supermarkets. Anytime is a good time to give but this is the time of the year when they're most visible.

We get so many little flowers, we put them in a pot. Its nice to give on the way in and on the way out of the store. Its something we all can do.

................Lou

happyhooker

The events of that day changed many lives.  My Dad was 16 at the time, in the Navy about a year and a half later and about two years later married his sweetheart that would be my Mom and his wife for 65+ years.  Can you imagine 18 and 19 year olds (I hate to call them kids) 5,000+ miles from home, many in the middle of nowhere, doing what they were doing when, only a few months before, many of them were pumping gas, selling newspapers or behind a horse on farm, and had never been more than 50 miles from where they were born?  I know HEROES when I see them.

Frank