How to protect spool from monofilament line damage?

Started by captquint99, December 07, 2018, 02:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captquint99

What is the best way to protect an older spool from monofilament line damage? Is backing up the mono with a softer line a good thing to do? I just stripped a vintage penn 60 of mono to find a few layers of some line that appears to have once been softer (now hard and deteriorated). I was thinking to put a soft cord as a layer then maybe electric tape would do a good job of protecting the spool. What do you  Penn experts think? Thank you.

RowdyW

quint, I would wax it with either auto or ski wax and then fill the spool 1/4 full of dacron  or braid as a base. Tape may trap moisture between it & the spool.          Rudy

Gfish

It's a work-in-progress for me. Can't get a satisfying finish with wax, so I've tried marine grease recently. My thing'll be to strip the line once/year, do the nessassery maintenance, and then I'll see...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

George6308

By older spool: Bakelite, Crome plate, or Aluminium? If Bakelite I use braided Dacron with a long mono leader. or replace spool with the newer Aluminium spools.

captquint99

When I fish with some of my older reels like the 500, and 200 it is with the chrome spool.

oc1

My problem with wax is that it is not usually self-healing.  If the line rubs the wax off and then the line wicks up moisture you have moisture against metal.  I wonder if something softer like grease or LPS-3 is not a better alternative as long as the grease does not degrade the line.  A backing of greasy Dacron will be self-healing and prevent moisture from invading.

Since Dacron doesn't stretch it is difficult to put it on too tight.  The Dacron provides a cushion so pressure that builds up in the mono is less likely to warp the spool flanges.
-steve

captquint99

What lb test or what diameter dacron is best to use and how much is necessary to load onto a 500 or 200 or any spool? Should I just make a few passes to cover the bottom of the spool,  1/8 or 1/4 of the spool?  Thanks

Keta

I would use 50# Dacron or Spectra for 40# and under mono, 80# Dacron or Spectra  for 50# and 60# mono and 130# Dacron or Spectra for 80# and 100# mono if I was going to use mono.  What I do is fill the reels with Spectra and use 20'-100' mono or fluro topshots.  Of you feel you must have mono fill the reel at least 1/2 way with the braid of your choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

I toss out mono all the time, sometimes after one trip.  To limit the waste, I use either small reels, or large reels with braid.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wfjord

Quote from: oc1 on December 08, 2018, 05:47:23 AM
My problem with wax is that it is not usually self-healing.  If the line rubs the wax off and then the line wicks up moisture you have moisture against metal.  I wonder if something softer like grease or LPS-3 is not a better alternative as long as the grease does not degrade the line.  A backing of greasy Dacron will be self-healing and prevent moisture from invading.

Since Dacron doesn't stretch it is difficult to put it on too tight.  The Dacron provides a cushion so pressure that builds up in the mono is less likely to warp the spool flanges.
-steve

Hope I'm not getting too far off topic here... I long used Dacron under mono on most all my revolving spool reels and more recently on certain older spinfisher spools as a layer of cushioning. Also never coated the inner spool surface with anything for protection. I like the idea of soaking the bottom layers of the Dacron in an oil like CorrosionX or an oil/grease blend at least on reels getting exposure to salt.

Over a period of years, will the oil eventually have a detrimental effect on the Dacron?
Also, I tie several feet of monofilament to the bottom of a lot of spools to prevent slippage; what will keep mono from slipping when the spool gets greasy?

oc1

Quote from: wfjord on December 10, 2018, 08:59:36 PM
I like the idea of soaking the bottom layers of the Dacron in an oil like CorrosionX or an oil/grease blend at least on reels getting exposure to salt.

Over a period of years, will the oil eventually have a detrimental effect on the Dacron?
I've put greasy Dacron on the bottom of spools, then a layer of tape, then wrapped and tied stretchy nylon around the tape and finished filling the spool with nylon.  I've put the same thing under spectra, in that case using the Dacron more as filler than a cushion. That's not much help though.  

Here's a table of compatibility of polyester (Dacron is polyester) with all sorts of stuff.  It is sort of questionable and not much help either because it shows resistance to most stuff at 65F but not resistant to many things at 150F.  That includes crude oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, mineral oil.  I don't know what the practical effect would be with something like corrosion-X.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/chemical-resistance-polyester-d_784.html
-steve

wfjord

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2018, 08:00:52 AM
I've put greasy Dacron on the bottom of spools, then a layer of tape, then wrapped and tied stretchy nylon around the tape and finished filling the spool with nylon.  I've put the same thing under spectra, in that case using the Dacron more as filler than a cushion. That's not much help though.  

Here's a table of compatibility of polyester (Dacron is polyester) with all sorts of stuff.  It is sort of questionable and not much help either because it shows resistance to most stuff at 65F but not resistant to many things at 150F.  That includes crude oil, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene, mineral oil.  I don't know what the practical effect would be with something like corrosion-X.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/chemical-resistance-polyester-d_784.html
-steve

The polyester compatibility table makes me leery of greasing the Dacron. Maybe it might be better just to drill a tiny hole and insert a little post or screw into the spool. Some liquid marine weld might keep it stable enough in a metal spool; just enough to keep two or three layers of mono from slipping on lightly greased metal, then add tape, dry Dacron or whatever to it.

sundancer

I have never underwrapped a Spool, but I also have not caught anything that would load the Line enough to be a problem..

A thought occurs though. 

How about a couple of wraps of that Silicone (?) 'fuses to itself' Electrical Tape?  I use it alot and it is reasonably thick and might provide both the traction and cushioning needed.  There is also no glue to transfer and gum up the works.

???
Steve

Tiddlerbasher

I just use hollow core braid (spectra/dyneema) and splice it to mono/fluoro top shot wind on whatever. The hollow core lasts foreverish and is easily repaired by blindsplicing a new section.