P220-F Poor Freespool

Started by fishmeluck, December 08, 2018, 08:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeluck

Recently acquired a near perfect P220-F as part of a three-reel deal from a pawn shop. Sold one reel and plan to sell one more, which will leave me with the P220-F almost for free. Trouble is, I cannot get it to free-spool for more than six seconds.

The spool spins smoothly, just slows down quickly and stops. When the drag lever is in freespool and I crank the handle, the spool spins, so I know that there is some kind of pinion gear rub. I just cannot get rid of it. It looks like the pinion gear is cock-eyed due to the tangs on the yoke not doing a proper job of forcing the pinion gear to sit flat. I've tried tweaking the bend angle of the yoke tangs several times to no avail.

I'm considering swapping the bridge assembly with the bridge assembly from another reel, possibly another 220 or 229 series reel, because I like this P220-F very much. I'm wondering if all the 220 and 229 series bridge assemblies are interchangeable, or are just some of them?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Swami805

Might try moving the spool over a little by adjusting the bearing caps or changing the shims in there. I've had a few that did that and that fixed it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mrwilson99

Play with the shims and also check if the spool shaft is not bent.
David

vilters

if you remove the pinion gear and it spins freely, you know it is slowing the spool - bent yoke, bent spool shaft, spool shaft and/or inside of pinion dirty or need polishing/light sanding. if still poor, faulty bearings or insufficient side play, assuming frame is true, not bent or misaligned, and spool not rubbing somewhere.

Newell Nut

All the 220 bridges will interchange but I do not believe that is the solution. Lot of little things can slow a spool.

Dwight

fishmeluck

I don't think the spool shaft is bent; I'm assuming that would cause a slight wobble in the spool as it spins. I did remove the pinion gear, and the spool spun like a top. That was another way I figured the pinion gear was to blame, and it also suggested that the spool was not rubbing the frame. I tried adjusting the bearing caps and cleaning the inside of the pinion gear, but I could go further and try changing the shims and polishing/light sanding the inside of the pinion gear. Looks I have some more work to do.  :(
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Newell Nut

Cut a Qtip in half and put into a cordless drill. Pull off some of the cotton. Wrap a little steel wool on it, add a little oil and polish the ID of the pinion.

alantani

Yup, check the bearings and polish both the inside of the pinion gear and the spool shaft.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

funhog

if you are going to swap out parts, start with cleaning and swapping with the bearings in the other reel.

SoCalAngler

After the polish of the inside of the pinion and spool shaft moisten a q-tip with a thin oil, I use TSI but Corrosion X or what ever you use on your bearings will be fine. Then insert it inside of the pinion and rub it on the spool shaft, use a very thin coat or this can slow down freespool until the excess leaks out.

richard

I had one where the yoke pushed the pinion gear sideways against the spindle ,where it sits in the little groove in the pinion. Used a small chainsaw file to give a little free play .just a thought.

Newell Nut

Once the pinion locks onto the block on the spool it is square and true. It can be all over the place while floating in free spool position. Don't over think what is going on.

Dwight

richard

Should have made it clear i was talking about a reel in free spool ,as this was the OP's problem . Not sure what you mean by all over the place while floating in free spool ,my pinions float maybee a few thou along the spindle governed by the yolk in the pinion groove . Others have advised polishing inside the pinion gear as well as the spindle to get rid of any friction.I am suggesting that this friction could be caused by the yolk pushing the pinion slightly against the spindle. That was the case with my reel ,not sure if the yolk was bent slightly ,perhaps the pinion groove was not machined deep enough ,but a little filing of the yolk where it ran in the pinion groove gave me good free spool. Hope this helps .

SoCalAngler

Yep, Richard expect to get shut down by some from the good old boys club. I think your input was valuable even if others don't.

Don't let this stop you, I have had many posts just disappear, especially when a "known member" questions them.

Good for you!!!

Frank

Quote from: richard on December 11, 2018, 10:55:04 PM
Should have made it clear i was talking about a reel in free spool ,as this was the OP's problem . Not sure what you mean by all over the place while floating in free spool ,my pinions float maybee a few thou along the spindle governed by the yolk in the pinion groove . Others have advised polishing inside the pinion gear as well as the spindle to get rid of any friction.I am suggesting that this friction could be caused by the yolk pushing the pinion slightly against the spindle. That was the case with my reel ,not sure if the yolk was bent slightly ,perhaps the pinion groove was not machined deep enough ,but a little filing of the yolk where it ran in the pinion groove gave me good free spool. Hope this helps .

I can see this happening, Richard. I have scene plenty of Penn parts that were not identical. Even ordered an American made 500 Jigmaster reel seat base that three holes taped and one hole just drilled but not threaded, Also a shift lever that should have had a bend in it that was perfectly straight. Not to mention slight variations in internals.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.