Function of rod braces

Started by Wilmar, December 10, 2018, 02:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hi guys and gals.  Can someone explain to me like I'm five what the heck a rod brace on the front side of a daiwa 900h does.
What in general are rod braces?  How does placing them towards the pull of the fish make sense?  Seems like they should be on rear of reel to me. 
Lastly can I substitute a penn rod brace for the daiwa rod brace?

Ron Jones

When the line on the spool is being pulled on by a large fish it will eventually peel off to one of the sides. Pulling on one side of the spool will try to twist the reel off of the foot (the part that gets tightened into the seat on the rod. Rod braces reduce the effects of this twist, allowing the reel to handle more power.

Really big reels have braces forward and aft. They are usually used with a rod that has a longer grip and so the rear seat doesn't get in the way. The 900h can easily be used without a harness, so the rod it is installed on might not work with a rear brace and it isn't big enough to warrant both.

Don't know about the Penn brace working or not.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Wilmar

Thanks for explaining it having to do with twistingto the sides.  That makes more sense to me. 

RowdyW

With the forward rod brace if you are wearing a harness & hooked up to the harness lugs any pull on the lugs will apply pressure to the rod brace to give the reel more support.         Rudy

Wilmar

OK.  Thanks Rudy.  I can sort of visualize that - makes more sense seeing rod brace working in tandem with a harness to the lugs.