two speed shifting on 50SW and 30 SW

Started by thorhammer, December 10, 2018, 03:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I worked on these for a buddy...the 50 had the cam follower and housing corroded together and cam snapped off. The handle had come off the 30 during a trip and the plunger came out and went away too....

Finally go them about back together...the more I went in, the more needed to be done, so I just pulled them all the way down for full clean and lube.

Now I have them back together and operational;, with the exception of they won't change gears. I pulled them apart a few times to make sure the plunger waist was engaging plunger pins, and the gear retainers are set correctly opposed, centered on the main gear rim.

Any suggestions?

John

josa1

Hi John,

Alan did an outstanding tutorial on the 30SW...

You can find it here...

alantani.com/index.php?topic=137.0

Both reel's shift mechanism operates exactly the same.  When you find the problem, it will probably be the same on both.  Note the small locator pins have a rounded end and a flat end and verify that the rounded end is facing  outwards.  These rounded pins allow the drive shaft to be disengaged from positioning grooves inside the body of handle sleeve and to be repositioned to select the low and high speed gears, handle in is low gear, handle out is high gear.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

josa1

thorhammer

Thanks, Josa! That was the tutorial I followed, and paid particular attention to the locator pins. That's what got me scratching my head.

josa1

Remove the drive shaft/with low speed gear from the reel.  Verify parts inside the drive shaft are assembled this way......first the return spring, next the shift plunger with the tapered area lined up with the shift pin holes.  Then, insert the pins, rounded side out. Install the handle on the drive shaft and install the screw/shift button assembly down to hand tight to hold the handle on the shaft. Hold your fingers on the pins and push lightly on the shift button, you should feel the tension on the pins drop off and the pins recede into the drive shaft.  If all that is not as described, the reel will not shift gears properly.

Good luck!
josa1

thorhammer

Based on your call out, I suspect I will find the plunger is on top of the pins as I put the pins in first- good call. They are probably not engaging the waist with the waist 1/4" above them, lol. Good advice!