box I.D

Started by milne, December 11, 2018, 06:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi Guys,
             I have been researching on here and what I've come up with is this box, looks relatively early, but not sure.
The reel is a 3 post Sea ford, does not have the JK markings inside the side plates.
Any help appreciated.

Col

Swami805

I checked the book and I believe that is a '33 1st year Seaford.  Nice find, wow!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Hi Swami,  I'll say WOW too.......
    I was reading about the later box, I believe, that had the coloured band at the top, so wasn't sure.
I have a couple of other boxes, but this is my first for any of the early ones.
  If the reel is a match to the box, I would have thought I would have found the JK markings inside the side plates, maybe I might open it up and check again.
But, I'm sure happy with it being either a 33 or a 34,  certainly my centre piece at the minute.

Thanks.

Col

RamseyReelRepair

That's reel sweet!! Lol definitely a nice piece for any collection!

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Swami805

From the book in '34 it changed to a 4 post reel and lost the top bar. Looks correct for the box. Wowx2
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: milne on December 11, 2018, 06:11:31 AM
The reel is a 3 post Sea ford, does not have the JK markings inside the side plates.
Penn started molding their own plates in '34. Note that your '34 Sea Ford has the round head plate bushing. This was probably earlier in the year, the round was replaced with hexagonal later that year.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

That head-plate bushing looks like it might be adjustable. What about the tail-plate bushing?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

Another interesting thing to note about this year Sea Ford is that the clutch is different with this year - it is like all the other Penn clutches this year. In '33 it was like a Kopf-style clutch where the shift lever moved the main gear away from (disengaged from) the pinion gear. This comes from Mike's book.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

I shall pull it apart tonight an inspect, I think I had one of those earlier koph type clutch set up's in another reel I posted, which Steve was commenting on.
Either way, " Once I get that book "    ;D   !!!!!!!

Col

Tightlines667

Quote from: milne on December 11, 2018, 09:06:13 PM
I shall pull it apart tonight an inspect, I think I had one of those earlier koph type clutch set up's in another reel I posted, which Steve was commenting on.
Either way, " Once I get that book "    ;D   !!!!!!!

Col

You are scoring some awesome stuff out of the gate!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

milne

Hi Guys,
I just wanted to inform you all, that I may absent from the forum for some time !!
It can't be helped, these things happen in life !!!
Something has arrived that will consume every spare minute I have !!!

A special thanks to Mike.

milne

Well, I wasn't away long at all.
And the information in the book is all enlightening !!  

From my interpretation, the box above and the reel are both 1933 and correct.
The bridge sliding type assembly was dropped in 1934, of which this reel has.
The confusing part for me, was finding no JK markings on either side plate. But as explained in the book, sea ford was a late 33 reel and Otto
Had already ordered their own side plates pryor to the sea ford production, so it must be assumed then, that for the 33 sea ford model, Penn were supplying there own side plates. Before the opportunity came up of purchasing the Sea ford box and reel, I had already purchased a Sea ford 3 post 33 reel, a 300 yard version, no 75 again it has no JK markings on either side plate, whether some of this 33 model indeed had the JK markings or not, would be interesting to know.
Just a footnote, the brochure summary in the book, said that the no 75 model was introduced in 34, my one has the sliding bridge assembly, that was
supposedly discontinued after the 33 year, it has the same round style bushings, which I believe they used up before changing in 34....

I've probably bored most of you with information already known, for that I apologise,    
Actually, No, I don't really,  it's just so damn good now to have such a brilliant reference book and be able to do your own research !!!
We are all very lucky indeed to have someone put the huge effort I'm seeing, that was needed to compile this book, And while most would have thanked
Mike for this, I would also now like to do the same,  cheers Mike.

Col