113h handle nut question

Started by Wilmar, December 12, 2018, 06:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilmar

Hi everyone,

I've got a Penn 113h that has a handle nut that has a bit of slop in it - it's not even finger tight. I haven't been able to get the handle lock screw positioned in the scalloping of the nut (when the nut is screwed down tight) so I have had to back the nut off a fraction to get the lock screw in.  I only have a couple of the thin, cheap penn handle nut wrenches and don't want to scar up the nut trying to get it to line up correctly.  How much pressure is too much to apply to a handle nut - don't want to damage gear sleeve either?

Does anyone have any tricks to get this accomplished?  File down gear sleeve?  Does it really matter if it's loose or not?

Thanks,  Wilmar

Bryan Young

Just go to the next scallop opening. It'll be fine. The brass will stretch a little helping locking the handle in place. If it's loose, the gear sleeve will round out and you will have to replace the gear sleeve.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wilmar

Thanks Bryan for fast reply.  I will give it a shot.   

Shark Hunter

It has to be tight.
You need an Alantani Wrench.
You can snug it down to the next opening with no problem.
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: Wilmar on December 12, 2018, 06:18:34 AM
Does anyone have any tricks to get this accomplished?  File down gear sleeve?  Does it really matter if it's loose or not?

Those little Penn wrenches will tighten the handle screw just fine...but you need to take a few precautions. Those wrenches are stamped steel...and have nasty sharp edges on one side. Turn the wrench so that side faces you...not the chrome handle! In order to get the leverage needed push the wrench with your fingers while resting the handle's counterweight in your palm. You can easily tighten the screw this way, without scratching the chrome. 8)

P.S.  Sharkhunter is correct...that Alan Tani wrench makes life much easier!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

If you are using the original Penn wrench I've found by wrapping a rag around the wrench a couple of times lets you put a lot more pressure to the wrench without it digging into your hand. It's nice to have the AT wrench though.       Rudy

Wilmar

Thanks fellas,

Yeah, I am going to ask my wife to buy me an Alan Tani wrench for Christmas (I can see her eyes rolling now).  I also may put some masking tape and tape both wrenches together to hillbilly up (it's OK, I'm a hillbilly by marriage) a thicker wrench.  This is the first handle nut I haven't been able to muscle in without going to these lengths. 

So Alan Tani's wrench over the smooth drag wrench - right?? I'd like it to be able to handle both Penn and Daiwa nuts if possible...

FYI, getting advice from you all is like talking to royalty to me.

Thanks again guys, Wilmar

foakes

Alan's wrench is great — and Iuse it all of the time...

I also just attach a wooden file handle bought at the hardware store for less than a buck to a Penn wrench for comfort, safety, and plenty of controllable torque.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wilmar

Oh yeah, forgot to tell you all a story.

I have a brother in law that works at a plant that makes locomotives that they send all over the world.  He a buyer for the plant.  I was complaining at a family dinner to him that his sister, my wife, refuses to go to the trouble to buy TSI 321 oil for me to use on reels.   I was just trying to be funny thinking he would also find it ridiculous that I wanted some specific oil for fishing reels.  He looks at me strangely and said "TSI 321?  Do people use TSI 321 on fishing reels? We use that as a lubricant when we cut some of our parts."   He seemed to have some respect for TSI 321 and to find it odd that somehow reel aficionados would come to use it.

The best bit was I was able to look at my wife in triumph.   I so rarely get to do that.

Wilmar

Wilmar

Ok Fred, I'll try to get her to get me the Alan Tani wrench.

Thanks, Wilmar

alantani

the us secret service also used tsi 321.  let me know if you want me to ship out a wrench.  got a bunch!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wilmar

Hi Alan,

It is an honor to talk with you. 

I've got to ask what the secret service would use TSI 321 for?  I know for a fact that the IRS refuses to use TSI 321 - they never use any lubricants of any kind (couldn't resist).

Also, I've never ordered parts from any of the members directly before - do I PM you or email you?  How do I get payment to you?

Again, it is an honor, Wilmar

alantani

the guy at the tsi facility told me that the secret service uses it when they service their side arms.    i was pretty impressed.  send me a pm and i'll get a wrench out to you!

Wilmar

Hey all,  Alan sent me an Alan Tani wrench.  Got it out of the mailbox this evening.  It did the trick without a hitch -  it is thick enough bar stock and long enough to just smoothly get that nut in place.  Well made/cut as well.   

Thanks to everyone, and obviously to Alan - who I owe a favor to. 

Wilmar

alantani