Home made manual pick up 330

Started by oldmanjoe, December 13, 2018, 01:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I have two broken rotors that the bail trip lever mount to .   I didn`t want to can them yet ,so i am going try a little  modification .

I   Cut off the old bracket and cut off the bail housing flush, than filled it with 5 minute epoxy to give the rotor a clean look.

Filled and painted.
       On the opposite side i cut /grind the middle lug a little to hold the bail arm solid .  I did try a drag washer at first ,but didn`t want a shim.
        Found a old junk bail arm from a plastic reel to try .  I could have use the dam bail , but i did not want to sacrifice a good bail .
        I will try this first and see how it works , i may have to fix a washer to the end to help keep the line on the pin

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Decker

Very nice, Joe.   Always wanted to try manual pickup for surf casting.   

xjchad

Very cool Joe!
Let us know how it works out!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Coincidentally, I'm working on one, as we speak, on an old German made Silent reel. Sal sent me one of his extra bails with a pointed cone to adapt for my project. I'm using a metal bail arm plate, and because of the Silent design, it will be stationary. When I get it done I'll post some photos.

Will yours have spring trip capability? If not, I'm going to install a pin in the plate spring hole so that the pickup arm can't move. The bail screw will cover the headed pin.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

xjchad

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 13, 2018, 07:00:30 PM
Coincidentally, I'm working on one, as we speak, on an old German made Silent reel. Sal sent me one of his extra bails with a pointed cone to adapt for my project. I'm using a metal bail arm plate, and because of the Silent design, it will be stationary. When I get it done I'll post some photos.

Will yours have spring trip capability? If not, I'm going to install a pin in the plate spring hole so that the pickup arm can't move. The bail screw will cover the headed pin.

Really looking forward to seeing that Tommy!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 13, 2018, 07:00:30 PM

NO spring , stationary arm  here ..       Just need to do test cast with braid and mono to see if it gets hung on the pin.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Nice job Joe.  Check the line lay too.  A very small change in height of the roller can make a big difference in line lay.  If the roller is not perfectly perpendicular to the spool shaft you can get a different line lay depending on the amount of line tension too.  The line can ride up on the roller flange.
-steve