Original International 50w drag issue

Started by Squidh90, December 17, 2018, 05:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squidh90

Recently I disassembled a Penn International 50w for maintenance, and upon reassembly, found that the reel would only reach freespool with the lever near the strike position, and when the drag lever was returned to the freespool position, the reel would not freespool and instead engaged the drag. The reel was perfectly functional beforehand so I am sure all the parts are intact and that something was simply reassembled incorrectly. Thanks in advance for any help received.

Navidad Nutcase

it sounds like you may have the eccentric cam setting in the wrong position when you put the drag lever back on.  I am no expert by any means and someone who is will get back to you.  I have done this ''180 degree out'' bit myself. That is why I suggest it as a ''possibility''.
to find out , if you just have the eccentric cam  in the wrong position,  Take the bridge cover (124) off and have a look.  Move the drag lever (21) until you get freespool and then take it off the Eccentric cam and re-position it to the freespool position. You may have to adjust it forward a bit or back a bit to get the drag lever back on.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Squidh90

Thank you, however, I did try this, only for the lever to be prevented from fitting by the bridge assembly. I did some additional toggling with the preset, and was able to get freespool back at the normal position, however, when the lever is pushed past strike the reel jumps into full and the design of the cam won't allow the lever to return.

Navidad Nutcase

My knowledge is pretty limited but someone will reply.  Holidays and all, it may take a while, but someone ALWAYS replies.  I tried to search out a tutorial but I have trouble finding my own *** sometimes and can't seem to locate  the 50 tutorial.

Perhaps the cam follower ( #141) got put into the Eccentric cam (19) incorrectly. I think it is possible to put it in there 180 degrees out.
One thing's for sure - it will be something very simple when you find it.
post an answer when you find the problem so we can all learn from your experience.
Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

alantani

yeah, i've seen this before.  pushing the drag lever too far back re-engages the drag.  the last time, the customer and i decided that it was just something he would live with, rather than have me gut the reel and start all over again.  it's all about the cam.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squidh90

Thanks for all the help, I think I will play with it a little more and let you guys know how it goes.

Squidh90

Well I rebuilt the reel with the drag lever reversed(ie, freespooling at full and max drag at the free position), but toggled with the preset quite a bit and more or less got the reel functioning normally. The only remaining issue is that at full drag the handle barely turns, but I can live with that for the time being. On a slightly different note, we're all the original Internationals extremely loud, as this is the loudest reel I currently own.

alantani

check to see if there is any roughness to the right main side plate bearing.  it might have to be replaced.  those are always one of the first things to go wrong.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Squidh90

I did check the bearings and they do seem fine. The noise I was referring to came from the double dog system.