Penn 49a Sale !!

Started by Maxed Out, December 18, 2018, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

First off I'd like to say thank you to our forum friend in South Africa.(AC49) I sent him on a local treasure hunt for a few wide 49a reels. These aren't easy to come by in SA as many are led to believe. Many days were spent searching and he finally cornered a few. Most are well used, but any 49a is better than none.

None have the "A" on the headplate and according to our South African friend, those are very seldom found. Most the 49a that went to South Africa were all labeled as a 49.

So, after paying for the reels, plus a small finders fee for each reel he found, then a truckload for shipping.... I'm now offering a few of these reels to the Ohana. Not making money, just passing on a rare opportunity.

The cool part is a wide 49 can be legitimately rebuilt as stock configuration using donor 49 sideplates w/rings and jigmaster seat and posts

I am not asking full price and do not want to devalue the reels by posting my Ohana price. I have a few with boxes and a few without, and also have a couple "spools only" if you'd like to build your own 49A. The box pictured is the roughest of the boxes I was sent.

If interested, please send pm

Thanks, Ted

EDIT: DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND, I AM TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT. I WILL FIGURE OUT REMAINING INVENTORY AFTER CHRISTMAS AND GO FROM THERE
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

5 are sold, but still have a few more.

Ted

xjchad

Ted,
Just a question since I'm a noob.
Wouldn't this wide 149 be very similar in size and line capacity to a 114?
If so, then why?  The guts on the 114 are much stronger right?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

sdlehr

Chad, it's not about fishing, it's about collecting. The 49A was marketed only in S Africa and they're not easy to come by here.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Maxed Out

xjchad

Quote from: sdlehr on December 19, 2018, 06:04:03 PM
Chad, it's not about fishing, it's about collecting. The 49A was marketed only in S Africa and they're not easy to come by here.

Sid,
I totally understand that part of it and wanting to have a unique reel!

My question is in regards to why Penn would make the wide 149 when whey already make the 114?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

sdlehr

Quote from: xjchad on December 19, 2018, 06:08:46 PM
Quote from: sdlehr on December 19, 2018, 06:04:03 PM

Sid,
I totally understand that part of it and wanting to have a unique reel!

My question is in regards to why Penn would make the wide 149 when whey already make the 114?
Oh, that.... it's historical - the 49 (not 149) came out in the 40's. The 114h didn't show up until the 60's. Pretty sure the 114 is geared slower than the other two. Maybe the correct question is, "why did it take Penn 20-30 years to make the 114h?" The answer might lie in the fact that fishing line evolved a lot from the 40's to the 60's,
Sid Lehr

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on December 19, 2018, 06:19:55 PM
Pretty sure the 114 is geared slower than the other two. 

Yep...the 114 was 2:1 gearing while the 49 was a little over 3:1. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

I read somewhere that they were using 149's for shore fishing for tuna or something  and like it for the high speed retrieve but it didn't have enough line capacity. They made the wider spool just for South Africa and that fishery. Pretty sure all the other parts are used on other reels only the spool had to be made. I can't find a link on here, pretty sure it's here somewhere
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

49 3.5:1
114h 2.8:1
114 2:1

Ted, how does the width of the 49A compare to the 114HLW or WEX? I think this has been discussed here somewhere else as well.
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on December 19, 2018, 07:30:20 PM
49 3.5:1
114h 2.8:1
114 2:1

Ted, how does the width of the 49A compare to the 114HLW or WEX? I think this has been discussed here somewhere else as well.

The 49A uses a jigmaster 500 seat and posts

thorhammer