Penn 49a Sale !!

Started by Maxed Out, December 18, 2018, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Some years ago there were aftermarket aluminium spools available for the 49a, sold by a Johannesburg tackle store

mo65

Quote from: CapeFish on January 23, 2019, 08:06:02 AM
Some years ago there were aftermarket aluminium spools available for the 49a, sold by a Johannesburg tackle store

I've been wondering about that...being that most fishermen aren't too crazy about a plastic spool. By the way, why do they call it a plastic spool? Why not a "fancier" moniker like the other plastic parts get? Bakelite, Catalin, Delrin, Graphite, all sound stronger than just plain plastic! :D
   At any rate...this "plaster"(my uncle's term for plastic) spool is a lot heavier construction than most plastic spools. It's a chunk! I doubt they broke any while fishing. I have one of these I bought from Ted, but haven't had time to gussy it up yet. I've been working on a Long Beach project. Stay tuned for my 49A. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

Bob, DON"T EAT that albacore... IMMEDIATELY package it back up.  Those jars have been found to have a strain of "Toogoodtobetrue."
PM me and I'll send you my, I mean, the address so they can properly be disposed of.
Thank you,
OCD, I mean CDC Dom ;)

AC49

Quote from: mo65 on January 23, 2019, 03:12:51 PM
  I've been wondering about that...being that most fishermen aren't too crazy about a plastic spool. By the way, why do they call it a plastic spool? Why not a "fancier" moniker like the other plastic parts get? Bakelite, Catalin, Delrin, Graphite, all sound stronger than just plain plastic! :D
  At any rate...this "plaster"(my uncle's term for plastic) spool is a lot heavier construction than most plastic spools. It's a chunk! I doubt they broke any while fishing. I have one of these I bought from Ted, but haven't had time to gussy it up yet. I've been working on a Long Beach project. Stay tuned for my 49A. 8)

Hi MO those 49A spools are not plastic but reinforced fiberglass and they were made by Penn U.S.A. for the purpose of shore-based tuna fishing in the 1950's from the Cape Point area, specifically Rooikrantz in Cape Town South Africa.  Penn certainly knew what they were doing and because of them, we can still see their longevity up till today.

Enjoy the "gussy" and post them pics !!  :)

Cheers AC49

sdlehr

Quote from: AC49 on January 23, 2019, 07:43:26 PM
Hi MO those 49A spools are not plastic but reinforced fiberglass and they were made by Penn U.S.A. for the purpose of shore-based tuna fishing in the 1950's from the Cape Point area, specifically Rooikrantz in Cape Town South Africa.  Penn certainly knew what they were doing and because of them, we can still see their longevity up till today.
I've seen various references to this, some claiming the targeted fish to be tuna, some yellowtail. Cor's video didn't look like those were tuna at all. They looked like yellowtail sanapper. In my part of the world yellowtail are snapper, not tuna. Are we talking about the same fish? Is there a "yellow'tail'" tuna I don't know about?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

AC49

Quote from: sdlehr on January 23, 2019, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: AC49 on January 23, 2019, 07:43:26 PM
I've seen various references to this, some claiming the targeted fish to be tuna, some yellowtail. Cor's video didn't look like those were tuna at all. They looked like yellowtail sanapper. In my part of the world yellowtail are snapper, not tuna. Are we talking about the same fish? Is there a "yellow'tail'" tuna I don't know about?

Hi Sid on page 2 of this discussion Ted made reference to the book I sent him by Charles Horne who was a very respected newspaper angling correspondent & author based here in Cape Town during the early years.

Here are some excerpts  from the book ... with references to yellowtail, blue-fin tunny and yellow-fin tunny .....

December 28th  1945

Geared multiplying reels with white metal spinners at Rooikrantz.
Large Yellowtail shoals seen.
Alf Boshoff catches 16kg blue-fin tunny.
21 tunny caught that day – biggest 23kg.

May 6th 1956

Jack Wheeler "2 sets of equipment is the answer. 1 standard trolling gear. Other a heavy glass-fibre rod, reel holding 400m of 20,45kg nylon, 2m trace, spinner with 9/0 hook."
Spotter saw tunny approaching at 11h30.
60m out his spinner was struck.
200m run, back to 65m from rocks then unstoppable 300m run, less than 30m on spool.
1 hour after the strike and still making runs of 150m
After 2 hours a yellow-fin tunny of 71kg (5kg heavier than Wheeler) was landed.
It remains heaviest ever landed from the rocks in False Bay.

CapeFish

Quote from: mo65 on January 23, 2019, 03:12:51 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on January 23, 2019, 08:06:02 AM

I see it is actually fiberglass. A friend of mine's popped

Cuttyhunker

OMG Dom, Not Toogoodtobetrueitus, I just have to step up and take the hit for the sake of all humanity and gobble this bad bad evil stuff up.  Thank God you warned me!!!!! ;D

I'd like to extend my thanks to AC49 for ferreting out these 49A's, I too have read about and seen the video of the wild fishery you folks have down there, but never thought I'd get an "A" to display on my shelf.  Great finds
Thanks Again,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

Swami805

I believe yellowtail are in the jack family Sid, We have them here too. They catch yellowfin tuna too. The body shape of the yellowtail here is very different than there,ours are long and lean, they look much fatter down there. I saw a picture on another board of a fella holding a yellowtail about 100lbs that he caught from shore, they said it was a record,it was huge!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Thanks for clearing up the confusion on the Yellow"fish" caught at Rooikrantz. I guess all accounts are correct.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

I took my 49A apart last night for it's pre-shelving clean up. This reel was in good shape over all, but the sand I felt while backing out the screws tells me she was definitely fished. The previous owner took good care of his reel...all moving parts were lubed well. The drags revealed a hard puller had been hooked a few times for sure. The leather discs were thin enough to read the paper through! :D  The metal discs were polished mirror smooth from use. There was appreciable wear to the gear sleeve too, but everything was smooth and fully functional. I never replaced anything on the reel, not even the drags. I left her completely original...other than removing a little sand, dried grease, and African dust.
   Thanks again to AC49 and Ted for hooking us up with these awesome tools of the trade, and for schooling us on their history. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Hi MO glad you like .... but why remove the "African dust"   :o  .... took me forever to pack it in  ;) ;)

Cheers
AC49

xjchad

Very cool Mo!
I love that you kept it original! Such a neat piece!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

milne

Mo,
       That is a beauty !
     That will look great on any shelf  !!

Col

1badf350

Oh wow thats a pretty one!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"