Endicott Wilson and Otco Lever Drag reels

Started by 54bullseye, December 19, 2018, 05:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Here are two real neat and well made lever drag trolling reels that believe it or not were made in the 1940s from what I have read. The first is a recent find for me that looks like an early Endicott Wilson 6/0 size reel however it isn't marked Endicott Wilson. It is only marked with a Patent number which was filed a by Inventor: George H Dumond in 1940.  A friend of mine has a 6/0 Endicott Wilson marked reel with the same patent # 2,282,995 as on mine so I am assuming this is an early model possibly a prototype ?  I found some old post on ORCA where Dr. Rob was looking for info on these reels and Ed Pritchard chimed in with a bit of info saying that they were made in Detroit Michigan in early 1940s to 1950s and that they came in 4/0, 6/0, 9/0, 12/0 and also a deluxe 2 speed 12/0. He also said that
"The reel's uniqueness was its drag which was inside the arbor of the reel spool and expanded out to apply pressure when the drag lever was thrown." A neat reel for 1940s !!!

Dr.Rob also said that they looked like they could be related to the Otco trolling reels also built in the 1940s made by Ohio Tool Company. This reel had a drag inside the arbor of the spool much like the Endicott Wilson ! These reels had a drag adjustment knob on the tail plate side of reel. I have know idea how to adjust preset on the Endicott Wilson although I read some where you could unpin drag lever which is on a splined shaft and change it's position to increase or decrease drag pressure I assume much like a windshield wiper arm on a car.

Anyway the second reel is a 4/0 Otco which is in about new condition maybe never used. I can see why Dr.Rob thought they looked alike !!! One thing I find unusual about the Otco is that it is always in a "click mode" and there is no release button. Also the Otco's came in 4/0, 6/0 and 12/0 size.

Well that is about all I know about the two reels I will say the both seem beautifully built and very rugged as well ! I hope maybe there is someone out there that can add to my description or correct any mistakes I made. I saw 3 beautiful Endicott Wilson reels a while ago on eBay a 4/0, 6/0 and a 12/0. I bid on two of them and the next thing you know they were gone !!!  I hate that I guess someone made seller an offer he couldn't refuse ???   Hope you enjoy them.   John Taylor

54bullseye

Couple more pics

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Fishy247

redsetta

They're pure magic - love 'em!
The 12/0 must be a monster.
Thanks for sharing the pics and story John.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

1badf350

Very nice John! Thats gotta be the cleanest Otco Ive seen
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Midway Tommy

Here's some later Ohio Tool Company (OTCO) paperwork.

They also made a couple open face casting reel models that were designed by Ashaway for Ashaway.

They made them under the OTCO name, too. 

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Wow, what a find. Those are nice John, thanks for sharing them with us. From the looks and functionality, looks as we're going backwards.

Nice reels!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

54bullseye

Thanks for looking every one !!  Tommy I have the same pamphlet I got it off eBay a while ago and have owned a few Otco spinning reel they are nice reels !   Thanks again !!   John Taylor

Swami805

Such a clean no frills design, great find, thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

I never tire of looking at all these great examples of early reel designs you keep bringing us John, thanks for sharing.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

gstours

Thanks John for sharing your pictures.  These reels were basically hand made,  the patient seems to say the reels must have been planned for production.   These were hard times for most folks in the war period.
   Most of us have never experienced what went on back then,  myself included. 
       As with so many things,  timing seems almost hereditary. 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♂️😇🏡
Good find and good luck finding more good stuff.👋

Big Tim

Robert Janssen

...and this is the thread that started it all, and later became an article in the ORCA magazine.:

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14299

I am still enamored by these reels. I just love the semi-teutonic, utilitarian design work.

(actually & coincidentally, one of the earliest posts on this forum might've been about one of these reels. Sort of a drive-by post nobody answered)

The Great Maudu

Another great find John. Thanks for sharing that. I haven't herd of either of this before.