Endicott Wilson and Otco Lever Drag reels

Started by 54bullseye, December 19, 2018, 05:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Love the two lever drags. If you ever crack them open I'd love to see inside them.

The " Will Not Backlash "  on the Ashaway spinner cracks me up... Jeff

54bullseye

Well  since this post I found and bought 3 Endicott Wilson reels a 4/0, 6/0 and a 9/0 and I took all of them apart for clean and lube. I answered my own question about how to adjust pre set on there drags. The drags are unique on these reels they work inside the spools arbor. When you move drag lever forward there is a ramp unit that pushes against a rod that is inside the spools shaft. That rod has a rounded end which pushes two ball bearings apart expanding drag plates against inside of arbor. There are two sets of holes in the hollow shaft hence two sets of ball bearings and two rods that push ball bearings apart expanding drag plates and drag material evenly against inside of arbor. I am probably not explaining it good but once you see it it's pretty simple. Then on the tail plate end of shaft there is another rounded end rod that adjusts tension / preset on drag. It has a heavy set screw the more you tighten it the tighter the drag. Set screw is accessible by small plate with 3 screws on tail plate of reel.

Well that is the best I can explain it probably confusing if you haven't seen reel apart. I didn't take a lot of pictures but here are a few of the drag plates on the 6/0 and the bigger 9/0. you can see holes in shaft where ball bearings are pushed out. You can also see parts ball bearings, round ended rods and set screw in background. I should have taken more pics for a tutorial oh well.

Thanks  John Taylor        PS click on pics to blow them up.