Penn 113h excessive play in spool

Started by Fastrepairinc, December 20, 2018, 01:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has any ever had way to much play in spool towards the left side plate

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Fastrepairinc

Good morning i have a penn 113h red sides pre 1989 clicker. It sat unused in a box since 1980. The side plates are the older ones that allow u to change drags from the outside of reel   the grease was rock hard. It took alot to even seperate the side covers   its all cleaned up greased and upgraded drag installed.  I cant stop a side to side movement of spool. Its like the left plate bearing doesnt adjust enough.  I swapped one out from another reel.  It didnt help.  Any ideas

Shark Hunter

The easiest fix is to put a shim between the spool and the bearing.
You can make one out of a pop can or a Milk Jug.
If you want to be more precise., You can order shims from Mcmaster Carr.
It has been a while since I worked on a 113H, but that is what I would do.
There are lots of tips on this if you snoop around in the Senator Section.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18722.0
Life is Good!

Gfish

What do the "poll" options mean?: 1, or 2.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Clean the threads of the left side bearing holder real good. Sometimes it just has to be screwed in a little tighter. The spool should have .0025 to .005" side to side play. If you don't have any side play it will wear on the spool shafts & bearings.       Rudy

Fastrepairinc

Thank u   thread are cleaned up. I thought the same thing possibly salt.   Made no difference.  Bearing screwed all the way down.    Im thinking shim is a must.  Theres a full 16th of an inch

Fastrepairinc