Loop size in eyes with various wire sizes

Started by Rickb, December 23, 2018, 11:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickb

HI 😀
To start out I picked up a tube of 1/16(.062) 316 and one 308 stainless tig rod for through wires on wooden lures I plan on making
How do I know loop size?
I thought I could just bury two or three 1/8 drill bits in oak board for wire bending
or put in vise and use it to wrap around
What size loops do you all use ?
Thanks

Picked up a lathe and drill press need to get them set up and gather a few more things
Have one of the airbrushes and compressor and the other is on its way along with some paint but it will be after Christmas before it arrives Amazon said 27 dec to Jan ....

Rickb

Forgot to mention that I plan on making the wood lures  six to twelve inches long..lol
  I don't have a clue what wire sizes to use
and as far as getting the eyes how do you determine what sizes to purchase

Same thing with hook sizes how to you figure proper sizes to use...before I can paint any lures I need to check balance and movement with just sealer and hooks
This is a new area for me it should be fun

oc1

Rick, I think you would benefit from a pair of pliers with two round tapered jaws.  The stainless will want to spring back open after bending and the round-jaw pliers will help keep it under control as you bend it back on itself.

-steve

Rickb

Steve
Thanks for the reply I Plan on getting a pair of round nose pliers and maybe the one with rod on one jaw and "u" shape on other jaw
Half a century plus....😀 ago as a kid my grandpa had a sawmill and lots of tools and wire so I recall fiddling around at the shop and made wire leaders tried spinners etc

I raided the junk box for short bits measured them then ...  drove holes with longer bit  on drill press into oak then used shorter or  broken bits drove  into oak to where they stuck out a little bit three in one spot   and two in another just remembered one other bit taller to wrap wire with pliers
using the wire and slip of paper around it to space next bit to shape wire but I had spinners etc to use for an example of loop size or bends

As far as the hooks I know I can get shorter shank trebles if they want to tangle or use smaller ones and that weight changes action of lure but haven't a clue on bigger lures how u figure size to start with hate to order sizes I can't use...lol

jurelometer

[CORRECTED- original post had the wrong link]

Here's a video showing how to make an eye and throughwire a heavy duty saltwater plug with the round nose pliers that Steve was describing:

He should be wearing some eye protection when cutting stiff wire.   The end bits really fly around, especially if they are short.

Plenty of other tutorials on the web as well.

If you are making big freshwater plugs for pike and muskie, you can get by with much lighter wire.   The heavier wire primarily helps keep the loops straighter.

Jewelry bending pliers with one u-shaped jaw might not be tough enough for .061 stainless welding wire, which is pretty stiff.

Loop diameter:  Functionally, you will need to have a big enough loop to accommodate  rings or other hardware.  If you tie mono to the eye (loop knot is better for a good action), a bigger eye helps with thicker mono.  Aesthetically (if this matters to you), loops are scaled to both the plug size and wire thickness.   Your eye will tell you what looks good, but I would guess something around 3/16 to 1/4 inch for the ID for .061 on a jumbo freshwater plug.

-J

oc1

Instead of slitting the plug front to back, I drill a hole front to back.  Then drill a hole from the bottom up to the longitudinal hole where the other hook(s) go.  Put a small loop in a piece of wire, insert the loop into the bottom hole and run the front-to-back wire through that loop.  After all the wire and loops are in place, inject resin or caulk into the holes to keep them water tight.
-steve

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on December 24, 2018, 06:16:52 AM
Instead of slitting the plug front to back, I drill a hole front to back.  Then drill a hole from the bottom up to the longitudinal hole where the other hook(s) go.  Put a small loop in a piece of wire, insert the loop into the bottom hole and run the front-to-back wire through that loop.  After all the wire and loops are in place, inject resin or caulk into the holes to keep them water tight.
-steve

Oops,  I posted the wrong link.  At least is was a plug making video :)
  Put the correct link in now.   

Agree with Steve, if turning a lure on the lathe, no reason to slit it.   I think some makers prefer to line the holes with epoxy before wiring.  This allows the lure to be rigged and re-rigged  without spit rings.