weight per length chart ?

Started by Crow, December 26, 2018, 09:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Can anyone steer me to a good chart, that shows approximate weight , using the length of the fish ? I caught a 35" black drum, this afternoon, and I'm "guesstimating" it was 20 pounds. I have a "fairly accurate" scale.....or should say "HAD", as the batteries were left in it over the summer, and ruined it when they leaked (oops !).   Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Sort of depends on who landed the fish...

If it was you, your estimate of 20 pounds would be accurate in my opinion...

If I caught it, you could easily add 50% to the weight...😁😁😁

Nice catch!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Lenght/weight converion Texas marine species identification :D it's good,,,but if the fish is shaped different,,,,,the weight is different,,,,I get 100yr old spring scales on ebay $8 to $15 and that work great ;D

Hardy Boy

It varies by species ! I only know halibut and salmon. I wonder if the salmon one will work for yellow tail? I will try it next year at Cedros. Length x girth squared and then divide by 800.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on December 26, 2018, 10:14:48 PM
Sort of depends on who landed the fish...

If it was you, your estimate of 20 pounds would be accurate in my opinion...

If I caught it, you could easily add 50% to the weight...😁😁😁

Nice catch!

Best,

Fred

HA! And if you caught it & I netted it I'd say it was probably 10lbs.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

21 pounds, 12 ounces.... or so they say.  But some black drum have deeper bodies than others.

http://txmarspecies.tamug.edu/length-weight.cfm

-steve

Crow

Thanks, everyone !  And, Benni, I have a couple of those old Zebco "De Liars" scales.........in tackle boxes that are 'home" in Illinois ! It always seems that "what I want" is NOT "what I packed" ::)! The way the weather is looking, it will be a while before I get to go back out on the beach......lots of rain coming!   Thanks again !..................Crow
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

the only formulas that sorta' work, are species-specific & you need length+GIRTH

alantani

for tuna, we use length x girth x girth (in inches) divided by 800. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Alan: That's the same formula we use for salmon. Its works well and is close except for the odd fish that is really long and skinny or really short and fat.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

gstours

Generally speaking,  you need to first know your audience   ,  it takes a fantastic story to usually impress your friends.  Adding 20-30 % is not really hurting anything, except maybe the 12 year old rule? ;)

Since the advent of television people are easily bored.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Hardy Boy on December 27, 2018, 02:14:14 AM
It varies by species ! I only know halibut and salmon. I wonder if the salmon one will work for yellow tail? I will try it next year at Cedros. Length x girth squared and then divide by 800.

Cheers:

Todd

Same formula we use for muskies and it is pretty accurate up to 50" but is way off after that.

Larry
PS A happy new year to everyone
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Crow

Got another drum, this afternoon, and using the "conversion table", a 38 incher should be 27 lbs, 13 oz.

My spring scale reads 28 lbs., so, I think the "table" is pretty close,

Benni3

Very nice drum,,,, :D just keep catching them and posting the pictures,,, ;) to make sure the conversion table works  ;D