60 LS

Started by milne, December 29, 2018, 03:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi guys,
   I'm not finding to much info on this 60 LS and box ( perhaps I'm not looking hard enough ! )
I'm comparing price on the box era but not seeing it mention LS.
I don't have another reel with this hex type clicker, So I just thought I'd post it up for any comments.
Hope everyone's enjoying the festive season.
Col

milne

Forgot the box !

foakes

LS denotes "Lightweight Spool".

The box is likely the only way to ID the reel — since "LS" only appears on the box and not the reel.

The date of manufacture should be 40 or 41.  The hex clicker throws me off a bit — so Michael or Ted would know much more about this than I do.

I generally know just enough to get me in trouble.

Nice find!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

I have a seagate with a hex clicker and it's the same size as a long beach 60, maybe they used the same side plates for both reels then.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

I can't see your spool from the pics...but it should be plastic. That's a cool LB and box. Fred's right...the details point to '40-'41...nice find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

So then the Long Beach LS really was a Sea Gate at that time, as the only difference between the Long Beach and the Sea Gate was the spool - metal for Long Beach (except immed before, during and after WWII when metals were all scarce) and plastic for the Sea Gate. And I'm sure the tail plates came out of the same bin.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

I don't know. I have two Long Beach 60's with lightweight spools. None of them have hex clickers but they are wildly mottled.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on December 29, 2018, 06:53:05 PM
So then the Long Beach LS really was a Sea Gate at that time, as the only difference between the Long Beach and the Sea Gate was the spool - metal for Long Beach (except immed before, during and after WWII when metals were all scarce) and plastic for the Sea Gate. And I'm sure the tail plates came out of the same bin.

The war itself is what confuses these details. Pre war the Sea Gate had a metal spool just like a Beach. The handle was the differing part. Then when that old style handle was phased out the plastic spool became the difference between a LB and a SG. Then along came the attack on Pearl...and plastic spools showed up on almost all models. Then all production ceased...and reel orders finished up from the parts bins produced many reels outside the assembly "rules". It can get confusing. Oh no...my eyes just crossed...:D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hi guys,
        Thanks for all the replies.
    In searching after I put up the post, I went over to Orca ( which I should have done first)
 And low and behold there was a few posts on this from Mike, I'm no good on the computer so I couldn't copy and paste it.

What was said was,The reel itself has no markings on it to identify it being any
different than to a standard LB, So the box was the only true way of identifying it as parts were interchangeable from the Sea gate.
The sea gate had the hex clickers in this period, so it was possible that at the time the LB could well have had them as well and this is probably a way of dating it as well.
The post was 10 odd years old from memory and Mike said he hadn't seen box for it at that time( from memory).
Plus the plastic reel was a different shape which also made it not a true 250 Yarder, and after the war they reverted back to metal spools.

That was a quick overview of the post I found,   interesting, so it was probably only in production for a few years at the most from what I have worked
out.  I'm just wrapped that I found it with a box as well !!!!
In the Book, there was mention of a LS 300 LS with plastic spool in 1941, marked not in catalog, but no mention of the 250 yd
The price for the 60 Lb was $6.50 from 38-42, in 46-47-48 it change to a 200 yd, which I think might have been a change because of the difference in the capacity of the plastic spool, then in 49 reverted back to 250 yd, which, maybe, was when they started re using metal spools ?.
SO, in my limited knowledge and deductions,  it has to dated between 40-42 because of the handle,

Who said this collecting of Penn reels wasn't interesting  ;D
Come in Mike !

Col  

Shark Hunter

That is a great find and a great reel. ;)
The older long beaches are one of my favorites.
Life is Good!

milne

Hi Chris,
              I like that mottled look, nice reel.
   I just noticed,,,,,
  The one you showed has the no 60 on the head plate,
My one just has Long Beach,   a different logo.
Don't know what that indicates, but a definite difference.....

Col

Maxed Out

Quote from: milne on December 30, 2018, 10:49:12 AM
Hi Chris,
             I like that mottled look, nice reel.
  I just noticed,,,,,
 The one you showed has the no 60 on the head plate,
My one just has Long Beach,   a different logo.
Don't know what that indicates, but a definite difference.....

Col

The last year for generic long beach logo was 1940/41. Which is also when yardage stamped seats were phased out. Thus the need for model# in the logo starting in 1941. The pre war plastic spools have a noticeable collar where the arbor meets the side flange. After the war the plastic spools were redesigned and arbor was rounded off into the flanges.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Thankyou Ted, great information,
     I believe mine has that collar and no markings on the reel seat.
Geez, the learning continues !

Col

Maxed Out

Yours has no yardage stamp because it has optional clamp stand that was an additional $2, and I believe 1941 was first year for that option on the small long beach reels.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

milne

Hi Ted,
         Thank you for that,   duly noted labelled and shelved !

Enjoy your newyears eve Ted,  ours is 7 odd hours away here down under.

Col