Isn't it just the way lever drag reels are?

Started by nelz, December 30, 2018, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I am constantly reading from users of lever drag reels, how they get harder turn as the drag ramps up. I also constantly see replies that it's a bad pinion bearing causing it.

Yes, a bad pinion bearing will exacerbate the issue, but isn't it to some degree just the way lever drag reels are as a consequence of design? I've never handled a LD reel that didn't get harder turn as the drag increased. At what point is a bad pinion bearing the cause?

alantani

it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: alantani on December 30, 2018, 08:24:32 PM
it's usually pretty easy to tell the difference!   ;D

I'm new to LD Alan, how do know? Details!

Santa brought me a Omoto Talos 10n-hg. Nice little reel, fantastic free-spool and it does not lose any free-spool at any drag setting. However, you guessed it... handle gets harder to turn as the drag increased.

handi2

The Omoto reels are a great dependable reel. Just like the Avet's. I know what you are trying to get an answer for but its still hard to answer.

All of the smaller LD reels like you have will do this. There is a fine line between easy and stiff cranking and its all because of lever drag system. By increasing the drag setting the lever is pulling everything tighter together. Once it gets over tightened exceeding the limits of the bearings it gets harder to turn the handle.

With the lager LD reels you dont see it as much as they can handle the higher drag settings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Quote from: handi2 on December 30, 2018, 09:48:13 PMOnce it gets over tightened exceeding the limits of the bearings it gets harder to turn the handle.

Thanks Keith. I can tell you there is resistance even at reasonable drag settings (less than 10lbs). So is that normal? This is the 6.2/1 ratio model, I imagine that makes any resistance more noticeable as well. On the other hand, it has a super-long handle which helps counter-act the effect, (but I use it on the shorter setting).

So how does a damaged pinion bearing feel, is there grinding or noise? All I feel is some resistance. Free spool remains unaffected and smooth at any setting, spins forever!

Maybe I'm just too spoiled from using star drags and spinners all my life?

Tiddlerbasher

Fish an LD reel within it's spec's and it will be fine. Most CAN be pushed beyond their limits - BUT the downside will be binding and ultimately bearing failure - it's the nature of the beast.
If you actually need massive drag look towards bigger reels with twin drag and thrust bearing designs - or just be realistic and lower your expectations.

alantani

when the pinion bearing go bad, you will know the difference.  the difficulty in cranking will increase quite a bit!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Once the pinion bearing has been pushed over the limit it's bad. It may feel ok in the hand with no roughness but it will need replacing.

If you can measure the bearing in MM I will send you one no charge. This way you can change it and know for sure. Just PM me with the bearing size and your address please.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

David Hall

theres also that undeniable crunch when you try to turn the handle.

nelz

Thanks for that offer Keith, I'm going to just "bear" ::) with it for a while, it's not too terrible. I got a look at the bearing when I opened it up for the pre-fishing inspection. It's a good size one, bigger than the spool bearings, I'm guessing around 15mm+ OD. It has a black seal too, (haven't seen that before).

David, no crunchiness or grinding is felt.

Oh, and happy new year's to y'all!

nelz

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2018, 10:04:30 PMOnce the pinion bearing has been pushed over the limit it's bad. It may feel ok in the hand with no roughness but it will need replacing. If you can measure the bearing in MM I will send you one no charge. This way you can change it and know for sure. Just PM me with the bearing size and your address please.
Keith

Keith - this has just kept nagging at me until I finally broke down and took the reel apart again to measure the bearing. It's a 19mm wide Japanese NSK bearing, not bad for a small, lower priced reel eh? I removed the seals and cleaned it out thoroughly, it feels ok, but like you said, it may not be...

Anyway, I have reconsidered your kind offer and will contact you. Feels ok, but let's see...

gstours

Nell,  I've had good results with replacing the pinion bearing on these smaller lever d reels with an Angular Contact Bearing.  These type of bearings are built spacifcally for some side loading.   It's a option and not terrible expensive.  What size do you need?   
   When you install the bearing orientation is important to accept the load force direction.

Donnyboat

Good idea Gary, & Keith, with all the health trouble, you have had resently, your both good men, Ohana Ohana, cheers  Don.
Don, or donnyboat

nelz

Quote from: gstours on January 07, 2019, 06:15:11 PMNell,  I've had good results with replacing the pinion bearing on these smaller lever d reels with an Angular Contact Bearing.  These type of bearings are built spacifcally for some side loading.   It's a option and not terrible expensive.  What size do you need? When you install the bearing orientation is important to accept the load force direction.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea if I can find one that size. It measures 6x19x6mm.

Fishy247

Would this be an option for the TLD 30II or the smaller Avets? I've found that I'm pretty good at overloading that pinion bearing...

Mike