Isn't it just the way lever drag reels are?

Started by nelz, December 30, 2018, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2018, 10:04:30 PMOnce the pinion bearing has been pushed over the limit it's bad. It may feel ok in the hand with no roughness but it will need replacing.

If you can measure the bearing in MM I will send you one no charge. This way you can change it and know for sure. Just PM me with the bearing size and your address please.

Keith

Keith, I got the bearing and installed it. The reel cranks a bit smoother but the handle binding didn't change. My conclusion is... yes indeed, that's just the way lever drag reels are.  I haven't tried one that uses thrust bearings, maybe they've solved it.

Anyway, thank you Keith for your generous gesture!

mikeysm

6x19 x6 is a custom order bearing. I bought some from China allot  cheaper that buying from the US. It took forever to get.

Mike

Gfish

Any examples(company & model) of reels sold new with angular contact bearings?
Also what's a good bearing company to order from, for a pinion replacement bearing that's angular contact, insteda just gettin one that's the same and will get crunched again?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mike1010

Quote from: Gfish on January 15, 2019, 02:47:32 AM
Any examples(company & model) of reels sold new with angular contact bearings?
Also what's a good bearing company to order from, for a pinion replacement bearing that's angular contact, insteda just gettin one that's the same and will get crunched again?

At least some, maybe all, of the Penn Fathom LD reels have angular contact bearings.

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on January 15, 2019, 03:15:58 PM
At least some, maybe all, of the Penn Fathom LD reels have angular contact bearings.

Not the ones I have worked on but they do have thrust bearings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on January 15, 2019, 04:25:31 PM
Quote from: mike1010 on January 15, 2019, 03:15:58 PM

Not the ones I have worked on but they do have thrust bearings.

I thought they were the same thing.

Keta

They do the same thing but they work differently. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Yeah. Thanks Mike and Keta. I did some post reading and Allen was talkin bout angular contact bearings not workin well for LD's. But, a thrust bearing will do the job, he said it's like a b.bearing and angular contact bearing"rolled up into one".
Avet sold me new pinion and drag plate b.bearings cheap, but got me on shipping to Hawaii and there was a office-delay-screw-up. Plus, cheap cost may = cheap bearings that I godda replace alla time. Any references for a  company that sells a good variety of thrust bearings?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

redsetta

My understanding is that an angular contact bearing is effectively a compromise between a standard bearing and a thrust bearing - the former being primarily for radial loads and the latter for axial.
They're not ideal for either, which (I believe) is the reason Makairas etc use a combination of standard and thrust bearings, rather than one A/C.
That said, I'm no engineer, so please correct any misinterpretations... ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

nelz

As I understand it, angular bearings are made specifically for handling pressure from various angles, whereas thrust bearings are used strictly for direct pressure from the side.

Keta

Quote from: redsetta on January 15, 2019, 08:31:10 PM
My understanding is that an angular contact bearing is effectively a compromise between a standard bearing and a thrust bearing - the former being primarily for radial loads and the latter for axial.
They're not ideal for either, which (I believe) is the reason Makairas etc use a combination of standard and thrust bearings, rather than one A/C.
That said, I'm no engineer, so please correct any misinterpretations... ;) ;D

Close enough.

Mark Twain

boon

Studio Ocean Mark Blue Heaven uses an AC bearing in the pinion, apparently.

MarkT

Quote from: nelz on January 05, 2019, 10:56:19 PM
Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2018, 10:04:30 PMOnce the pinion bearing has been pushed over the limit it's bad. It may feel ok in the hand with no roughness but it will need replacing. If you can measure the bearing in MM I will send you one no charge. This way you can change it and know for sure. Just PM me with the bearing size and your address please.
Keith

Keith - this has just kept nagging at me until I finally broke down and took the reel apart again to measure the bearing. It's a 19mm wide Japanese NSK bearing, not bad for a small, lower priced reel eh? I removed the seals and cleaned it out thoroughly, it feels ok, but like you said, it may not be...

Anyway, I have reconsidered your kind offer and will contact you. Feels ok, but let's see...

You should pack it with grease since it's not a spool bearing then put the seal back on.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!