Penn Senator Thick & Thin Tension Washers?

Started by Tommy S, December 26, 2018, 02:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy S

Hello folks,

New to the site and looking for some Experience.

Recently I have been picking up some older Penn Senators 6/0 & 9/0 and have noticed some have two Tension Washers (thick & thin, pc 8 & 8A in the Schematics I have found)

My question is their placement on two of the reels. Both have the outside accessible drags stacks. It seems the 'standard' set up is the thick tension washer above the spacer sleeve, below the star, with the thin tension washer between the star and handle.

I am not understanding the benefit of having the Thin Tension washer between the Star & Handle, and am wondering if stacking it together with the Thick washer wouldn't help put more tension on the Drag Stack & increase the drag.

Any one have experience experimenting with this?

Happy Holidays and thx... Tommy, Chesapeake , VA

Christopher M Songer

Welcome, New here also and just got 2 Senators 6/0 from a guy heading back to the Cayman Islands. Wondering the same thing. Almost as if the top thin tension washer does not do much of anything.
Always go forward, never go straight

1badf350

In my opinion it is simply to not allow the star drag and handle to "bottom out" against each other
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Gfish

Yeah. I always wondered bout that too. Don't think the 4/0's and below have that. I know the chrome plating on the star and handle can wear off, maybe there was a stickness/friction/corrosion problem early on...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tommy S

Appreciate the quick responses so far, fellows. Good Stuff!

I've only one 4/0, and it just has the Thick Tension Washer

I could see Chris' point as to using a washer to keep the Star from bottoming out against the Handle, but that could be accomplished with a regular Flat washer, right?. Wouldn't have to be spring loaded...

(I've accidentally locked the two together just playing around with the reel at the house here, but without any damage to either the reel or my fingers unloosing it)

Another member on here had a couple of 9/0 pics posted in his thread on "9/0 Bearings" which showed the thin tension washer between the Star & handle... my messaging him returned the reply that he figured it was to keep the Star Drag from backing out when fighting  a fish. (At his suggestion, I started this thread)

Anyone play with Stacking the Thick and Thin together to add to the Drag? Can that configuration cause problems?

And also, Will  the STAR actually back out when loaded?

Thanks for the input!

sdlehr

You don't have any pictures, but if it's the thick and thin tension washers I'm thinking of there isn't any benefit to stacking them - they are so different adding the the thin to the thick won't make a noticeable difference - that's my best guess - and you should keep the thin washer between the handle and the star as in the schematic.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

i keep the thick one under the star and toss the thin one in between the star and the handle.  it just causes corrosion.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tommy S

Attached is one of my 9/0 with the Thick & Thin installed bordering the Star.... This reel has the 7 + 1 Drag with the extra washer kit installed as well as the 2.8 - 1 SS gears (still trying to locate the SS Dog to replace the original brass...)

It's on the 9/0 Schematic (complete with coffee stains) that calls for two THICK Tension Washers... though on the Externally Accessible Drag, the note says to remove the upper Tension Washer & do without the Spacing Sleeve.... And I can Not remove the Spacer per the schematic or I would have way too much gap to fill...

Hence, my confusion

RowdyW

The wavy washers are there to act more like a cushion to make the drag adjustment more gradual & not as abrupt. The way to get more drag is to turn the star wheel tighter. If you can't reach the maximum drag you are looking for then you will have to go for an aftermarket drag washer setup.          Rudy

handi2

Quote from: Tommy S on December 26, 2018, 02:51:39 PM
Hello folks,

New to the site and looking for some Experience.

Recently I have been picking up some older Penn Senators 6/0 & 9/0 and have noticed some have two Tension Washers (thick & thin, pc 8 & 8A in the Schematics I have found)

My question is their placement on two of the reels. Both have the outside accessible drags stacks. It seems the 'standard' set up is the thick tension washer above the spacer sleeve, below the star, with the thin tension washer between the star and handle.

Tommy you have it right. Really no need for the thin one above the star.
I am not understanding the benefit of having the Thin Tension washer between the Star & Handle, and am wondering if stacking it together with the Thick washer wouldn't help put more tension on the Drag Stack & increase the drag.

Any one have experience experimenting with this?

Happy Holidays and thx... Tommy, Chesapeake , VA

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Quote from: alantani on December 26, 2018, 06:15:00 PM
i keep the thick one under the star and toss the thin one in between the star and the handle.  it just causes corrosion.   :-\
You mean, you throw it away("toss").
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 26, 2018, 02:59:44 PM
In my opinion it is simply to not allow the star drag and handle to "bottom out" against each other

This man is correct.  Take it off, back off the drag all the way.  You will see it can tighten to the point where it is difficult to tighten the drag.  I think it is a mistake to throw it away.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2018, 01:39:29 AM
I think it is a mistake to throw it away.  Dominick
x2, and if moisture collection/corrosion is an issue a good rinse with the star away from the handle should eliminate most of the corrosion problem. The parts are chromed, corrosion becomes a problem after the plating is damaged. The Boss' "toss" may be what the average Joe needs to make things more maintenance-free. We aren't in that category.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Since we are talking about part #8A ( tension spring), I would do as the boss. Not toss it, I could always use it somewhere else, but I do always remove those.
I do however keep the #49 (handle spacer) on all my 10/0- 12/0-17/0 & 18/0.
Makes sense to keep the very thin washer made from shimming material on those.
The house star and handle are much larger and as Dominic mentioned they would lock up when backed all the way.

Just what I do, I have no issues if you keep yours :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.