Sanding Stainless Drag Washers to Make Flat

Started by Ralph165, January 03, 2019, 02:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

kid gloves (i.e., baby goat, or any good thin leather) is a good combo of durability & adequate tactile sensation...  when you loose one, don't throw the other out -- throw it in your shop, instead

Ralph165

Quote from: Cor on January 04, 2019, 06:09:59 PM
Question is does it really improve you drag, I am unable to prove it!

Unfortunately, I will need to wait until I catch another 60lb tuna on it, because that's when I noticed the drag was sticky. So I guess I may never really know! lol

.....I guess I can tie the line to my buddies bumper and let him hit the gas? lol

philaroman

were you using braid?

it can be "dug in" to the point where the reel still functions, but mimics sticky drag

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on January 04, 2019, 07:04:18 PM
Is there a good way to hold the washer while you're doing it? Just press down with your thumb? I'm partial to my fingertips. Thanks

Me too Steve, that's why I mentioned my suggestion above, that most are ignoring :).

I like to see anyone trying to hold a .70mm washer with a leather glove :-\, but if its working for them...great!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Honing them flat does work. That's why Dawn sells ground flat washer kits. Ive never tried it myself and dont want to.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

You know, there are some out there that could care less about smoothness, all they're after is more friction:

:D

Quote from: Ralph165 on January 04, 2019, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: Cor on January 04, 2019, 06:09:59 PM
Question is does it really improve you drag, I am unable to prove it!

Unfortunately, I will need to wait until I catch another 60lb tuna on it, because that's when I noticed the drag was sticky. So I guess I may never really know! lol

.....I guess I can tie the line to my buddies bumper and let him hit the gas? lol

Ralph, you should be able to tell at lower settings as well. Flat washers make a difference.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 04, 2019, 09:26:06 PM

I like to see anyone trying to hold a .70mm washer with a leather glove :-\, but if its working for them...great!

Sal

not leather work-gloves, of course, but have you ever put on genuine baby-goat Kid Gloves (where do you think the expression comes from?)

besides, you don't have to "hold" (which one could do quite easily) -- merely press to a flat surface

Alto Mare

I'm a general contractor and gloves have always given me a hard time, I actually never wear them, except when I do masonry work.

I see your point and  if it seemed I was  getting confrontational with you, that wasn't the case.

Sal

reel man

Dawn use Pacific Stamping to make the drag discs then sends them to a grinding shop to be ground .0002 - .0004, so that's pretty darn flat.

Here's my comparison between stock drag discs and flat discs. A reel in stock configuration will obtain 10 - 12#'s of drag while a modified reel (ground flat discs and carbon weave drags will obtain 18 -20#'s. I rest my case.

Donnyboat

some one mentioned using oil on the stone, I only use water, as oil clogs the pause in sharpening stones, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reel 224

Quote from: oc1 on January 03, 2019, 04:17:48 AM
Quote from: Ralph165 on January 03, 2019, 02:22:03 AM
I really could not think of a better way to describe this.

Lapping.  You would want them to be both flat and of uniform thickness with the opposing surfaces parallel.
-steve

That is the right way to go about lapping a flat and concentric part.

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

exp2000

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 04, 2019, 11:53:09 PM
some one mentioned using oil on the stone, I only use water, as oil clogs the pause in sharpening stones, cheers Don.

Plus a few drops of dish-washing liquid.

The Pros put me onto this many years ago  and it works great.

These guys fillet more fish in one day than most of us will in a lifetime so they rule when it comes to honing an edge.
~

Swami805

The tape sounds like a plan, I have butter fingers without gloves on. Thanks Sal
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ralph165

Quote from: philaroman on January 04, 2019, 09:22:24 PM
were you using braid?

it can be "dug in" to the point where the reel still functions, but mimics sticky drag

It's funny you just said that...after "lapping" the steel drag washers, I noticed the braid coming off the pool at hard angles through the line roller created some resistance....but when I pulled the line sideways off the spool the drag was smooth. So it seems that the braid digging in or coming off at hard angles is definitely an issue.

What you mentioned was definitely the case, I never noticed that before. It's kinda like when a levelwind is designed not to move or sync with a freespool. I actually hate those, they create a lot of resistance. I guess this is just a drawback using spinning gear.

That said, I still feel like "lapping" the washers made a quite noticeable difference.

philaroman

Quote from: Ralph165 on January 05, 2019, 02:01:49 PM
I guess this is just a drawback using spinning gear.

not all spinning gear per se, but cheaper disk oscillation, specifically (for braid)

can't be fixed -- can only be traded for other drawbacks...  like getting a 2nd mortgage :'(

to upgrade your _ist to an _iga w/ a worm-gear  ;D ;D ;D