Sanding Stainless Drag Washers to Make Flat

Started by Ralph165, January 03, 2019, 02:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 04, 2019, 11:53:09 PM
some one mentioned using oil on the stone, I only use water, as oil clogs the pause in sharpening stones, cheers Don.

Donny I use oil as it makes honing easier.  I also wash the stone with a brush, and soap and water after use to get the metal out of the pores.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ralph165

Quote from: philaroman on January 05, 2019, 04:59:50 PM
Quote from: Ralph165 on January 05, 2019, 02:01:49 PM
I guess this is just a drawback using spinning gear.
to upgrade your _ist to an _iga w/ a worm-gear  ;D ;D ;D

lol...I know! It's on my winter "buy" list...I mean liga...(yah..I know how bad that just was)

I have been working on these washers for days...making slow progress. Washing the stone periodically to "clean the pores". I took a black marker to one side of the washer and then got back to"lapping". I was very disappointed to see how not "flat" it still was..literally only 50% of the washer is making contact.

philaroman

OK, so you're tinkering for the fun & learning experience...  otherwise, a couple hrs. OT would buy you the finest upgraded complete stack

philaroman

another thought:

would wet sanding be better w/ distilled, considering all the crap in tap?

...and, of course, fluoridation is a commie plot

mo65

Quote from: Ralph165 on January 07, 2019, 11:48:18 AM
I have been working on these washers for days...making slow progress. Washing the stone periodically to "clean the pores". I took a black marker to one side of the washer and then got back to"lapping". I was very disappointed to see how not "flat" it still was..literally only 50% of the washer is making contact.

This is the reason I start with a file. I get the washer flat, then go to a finer file to remove big scratches, then on to the lapping. Also...even though nobody will agree...I like brass washers when doing this myself. They may wear a little faster, but for most fishing styles are more than adequate. Buying Dawn's Smoothdrag ground flat washers is the way to go when it comes to stainless steel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Thanks Dominic, I use water, wash the pores out with a bit of detergent & water, every now & then, some people call them oil stones, but they are really wet stones, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 07, 2019, 07:00:40 PM
Thanks Dominic, I use water, wash the pores out with a bit of detergent & water, every now & then, some people call them oil stones, but they are really wet stones, cheers Don.

Right, if you don't wash out the metal flakes they rust and stain the stone.  I believe the term to describe wet stones is really whet (to sharpen) stones.  The whole reason for water or oil (among other things) is to keep the metal cool.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ralph165

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 07, 2019, 07:00:40 PM
Right, if you don't wash out the metal flakes they rust and stain the stone.  I believe the term to describe wet stones is really whet (to sharpen) stones.  The whole reason for water or oil (among other things) is to keep the metal cool.  Dominick

Yes, I was always a little skeptical about wetting or oiling the stone. My assumption was the water (or oil) was to cool or reduce friction in order to reduce heat that may possibly weaken the material (steel)..at least at the fine edge. But when and sharpening, how much heat am I really generating? It's not like a high speed sharpening tool, plus the time between strokes allows for some cooling. I have never felt the edge get hot when hand sharpening? Unless it is on some microscopic level?

That said, when I am sharpening most of my cheap knives, I don't wet the stone...but every once and a while I get a comment about that. For my washers, I have not been wetting the stone. I have not felt any noticeable heat generated. But I can definitely be mistaken, this is not my area of expertise.

oc1

I always thought the water or oil was to make the filings float up and not get jammed down into the pores.  You can see stuff start to cloud the oil or water but maybe it part of the stone coming up and not part of the metal.
-steve

Ralph165

Quote from: oc1 on January 08, 2019, 07:32:08 AM
I always thought the water or oil was to make the filings float up and not get jammed down into the pores.  You can see stuff start to cloud the oil or water but maybe it part of the stone coming up and not part of the metal.
-steve
You are definitely correct, thanks!

I put some dish soap and water on the stone and it was not clogging up.

Dominick

Correcto Steve. It helps keep the pores clear.  Dominick