TLD 15/30 loud dog

Started by Mrc70, January 30, 2019, 01:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrc70

Hi everyone. I recently picked up a TLD 15/30 and did the service per Alan's tutorial and the reel spins like new!  The reel is solid with fantastic freespool. My question is: is there any way to reduce the loud clicking of the dog ??  Great reel but that clicking dog is loud!

steelfish

thats the nature of the beast.
just consider that sound as your safety belt, uncomfortable but its there to help, so just live with that.

on a fishing boat with the sound of the motor, friends and waves you barely hear the clicking noise
The Baja Guy

Cor

Like steelfish says!
It has a proper spring operating the dog.
That's why those are still some of the most reliable reels around in its class....in my opinion.
Cornelis

wascallywabit

I never had a problem with clicking dogs. To me it's just the reassuring sound of a mechanical device that's functioning properly.

Ed

Mrc70

I guess a loud dog is better than no dog  :D

Gfish

Could some kinda Abu style dog(the tpye that has the "dog ears"on it) be modified to fit in the TLD?
I had a Torium with that type a dog, but I like to hear the click sound, sos I clipped off the dog ears and modified a spring to fit.  I like to know if my dog is engaging.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

I'm doing my 9/0 build and have been temporarily hung up on making stainless dog springs from windshield wiper inserts. I'm aiming for a springy spring, because I want my double AR dogs to be LOUD! It's the sound of accomplishment.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

boon

Quote from: Gfish on January 30, 2019, 09:43:05 PM
Could some kinda Abu style dog(got the "dog ears"on it) be modified to fit in the TLD's? Maybe then remove the TLD's spring?
I had a Torium with that type a dog, but I like to hear the click sound sos I clipped off the dog ears and modified a spring to fit.  I like to know if my dog is engaging.

We don't have a single clicking reel on our boat any more, to me a properly functioning reel should be silent :)