Shimano Curado SF Issue

Started by steelhead_killer, January 05, 2019, 12:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

The spool makes that sound when the handle is stationary and the spool is turned in the retrieve direction.  The handle will still turn if needed and operates fine

Quote from: philaroman on January 09, 2019, 05:24:31 PM
hmmm...

Andy, you said it's "intermittent"

when it's NOT  happening, does the handle turn?
><)))">

steelhead_killer

OK looks like I need to find a pinion BNT2227 which no one has in stock.  Anyone have a used one that they could part with? 

thanks

Andy
><)))">

Pro Reel

I've got a Curado SF identical to yours that came in this week for service. I tried everything to make it do what yours is doing, while it was still assembled, and it just wont do it. Yes, I can force the spool to revolve in either direction by rolling it with my thumb, with the drag not cranked tight, but it's completely silent because the pinion is staying linked with the spool pin. The spool is turning the pinion gear forwards or backwards which is forcing the drive gear to slip against it's drag washers. Now, I just made it do the exact same thing your reel is doing. I tokk the side cover off the brake side of reel, I pulled the clip and removed the bearing, then removed the tension disk. I then put the bearing and clip back in without the tension disk behind it. That allowed the spool to slide further the the left side of the reel, and then when I tired to turn the spool, while the reel was engaged, it turned easy and went click click click click click. It was doing exactly what I suggested, compressing the yoke springs just enogh to let it pop past the slot to the next slot. I moved the spool back to center position and it wouldn't do it anymore. Now I suggest you remove the same bearing and see if there is a small round fiber disk in there. If it's there but has a deep dimple in it, turn it over. If it's gone replace it. if it's there and no deep dimple, then it's the slightly rounded tips of pinion slots letting it happen, unless the yoke is upside down.

philaroman

oh, good...  now I don't have to dig out my Scorp.Met.XT, to see if it does that
(close JDM cousin of Curado-BSF & Chronarch-B, I believe)

...will certainly save this, for when I have to do dig into my reel

Thank you, all

steelhead_killer

OK that sounds reasonable.  Yoke is in right.  I will check the tension disk.  Thanks!

Quote from: Pro Reel on January 11, 2019, 01:54:03 AM
I've got a Curado SF identical to yours that came in this week for service. I tried everything to make it do what yours is doing, while it was still assembled, and it just wont do it. Yes, I can force the spool to revolve in either direction by rolling it with my thumb, with the drag not cranked tight, but it's completely silent because the pinion is staying linked with the spool pin. The spool is turning the pinion gear forwards or backwards which is forcing the drive gear to slip against it's drag washers. Now, I just made it do the exact same thing your reel is doing. I tokk the side cover off the brake side of reel, I pulled the clip and removed the bearing, then removed the tension disk. I then put the bearing and clip back in without the tension disk behind it. That allowed the spool to slide further the the left side of the reel, and then when I tired to turn the spool, while the reel was engaged, it turned easy and went click click click click click. It was doing exactly what I suggested, compressing the yoke springs just enogh to let it pop past the slot to the next slot. I moved the spool back to center position and it wouldn't do it anymore. Now I suggest you remove the same bearing and see if there is a small round fiber disk in there. If it's there but has a deep dimple in it, turn it over. If it's gone replace it. if it's there and no deep dimple, then it's the slightly rounded tips of pinion slots letting it happen, unless the yoke is upside down.
><)))">

steelhead_killer

Everything is installed correctly.  Tension disk under bearing on non-handle side is intact and not dimpled.  Yoke is properly installed.  So as I was testing it I discovered this little issue.  Same problem just magnified by the handle spinning and instantly stopped.  The spool keeps spinning intermittently and makes the same noise.  So I guess this is the end of this little reel as the pinion is unobtainable.  See quick video of the issue:
https://flic.kr/p/S3j2eU

Thanks everyone for the help!  I really appreciate the support!

Andy
><)))">

philaroman

not dead -- hibernating:

1) another main/pinion SET may be compatible, but different ratio -- hence, different part #'s

2) since parts are unobtainable, donor reels may become quite affordable

...or, your good parts may net you most of the cost of a [better] replacement reel
(my mechanically perfect Scorp.Met.XT was only $45+S/H, albeit I bargain-hunted for almost 2 yrs.)

Lunker Larry

Have you called Shimano to see if the part is common to another reel? They have been good with me in the past and have gone out of their way to look for compatible parts, often going down to the reel repair guys to ask.
Also check South West Parts in Texas (214-630-8161) They often have all sorts of parts that you can't get anywhere else.
Good luck.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Pro Reel

I've got 2 used ones in a box full of used gears. They came out of reels that were buzzy feeling while cranking. I've tried many many times to make gears smooth again by polishing, and have never seen much improvement. I myself am very picky about reels I use and wouldn't want to use one that's buzzy or geary feeling. However, if that reel has some sentimental value to you and you want it to work, even if it's not smooth, then you can have both of these and see if it works good enough for you. What's your address?

Lunker Larry

The same pinion is in the Chronarch Ch-100SF and  Castaic CA-200SG if you can get your hands on one.
Good luck
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

RatzReelz

We have the pinion gear in stock if you need one.

steelhead_killer

Well just a tad too late on the pinion.  I sent the reel back to the owner last week.  Thank you for the offer! 
><)))">