The FG knot revisited

Started by gstours, January 05, 2019, 06:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon

Quote from: Chuck750ss on January 08, 2019, 01:09:35 AM
Anyone able to tie one using something lighter than 20lb mono? If so,any tips?

I've tied an FG in 10lb. The lighter the mono the more likely it will fold up and make a mess, make sure to frequently tension the mono while you're tieing it to ensure the wraps lay down neatly. I also increase the number of wraps as the line gets lighter - I would probably do 30 wraps for line that light.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: boon on January 08, 2019, 10:09:58 PM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on January 08, 2019, 01:09:35 AM
Anyone able to tie one using something lighter than 20lb mono? If so,any tips?

I've tied an FG in 10lb. The lighter the mono the more likely it will fold up and make a mess, make sure to frequently tension the mono while you're tieing it to ensure the wraps lay down neatly. I also increase the number of wraps as the line gets lighter - I would probably do 30 wraps for line that light.
Thanks. Need to play around with the lighter line till I get it down.

gstours

This is another tip ive recently used it to hold the tag end of the leader when actually not at your bench.  great for the diy person like me.

David Hall

I cannot tension line with my teeth.  I found a video showing it tied by creating a large loop wrapped around your fingers and then tensioned between the thumb and forefinger.  I'm working on that method.

boon

Quote from: David Hall on January 09, 2019, 06:40:51 PM
I cannot tension line with my teeth.  I found a video showing it tied by creating a large loop wrapped around your fingers and then tensioned between the thumb and forefinger.  I'm working on that method.

Another option is to throw a loop in the end of the braid (just tie a quick figure-8 loop or a surgeon's knot) then put it around the reel's handle shaft. Roll the spool back by hand (or turn the rotor if it's a fixed spool reel) to add tension using the rod.

Obviously won't work too well on very heavy gear....

David Hall

That's an even better setup.  I'm gonna try that one to see which I like better.

oc1

Agreed.  I'm going to try that one too.
-steve

gstours

It seems like there are two camps with the problems of the FG knot problems.  Firstly light lines are more limp and harder to see and use in the fingers,  at least for me.  This camp likes to have seme tension on the tag end of the braid.
  The other camp usually the heavy line folks maybe,  sez hey why not tie it out there in front of you with all lines free to move.  Using no tension just pinching the line and crossing wraps ........
   However it works for you is whats important,  find your own method as there is a lot of u-tube and other info sites to assist you and I.
       I,m still testing and using the tension method with a line holding alagator clip to my shirt to hold the tag end of the braid for the streamside lighter line approach.   When i get cold fingers I usually go the the albright knot and say foowy. ???

gstours

Ok,  here is about the easiest of the non tensioned FG knot tutorials from u-tube ive seen.  This makes it look easy,  instills confidence yet left me cold.....  I havent tried the super glue addition yet.   I did like the way its shown to cinch the wraps in the early stages as this will help.     After more testing on the bench this knot with out the glue will eventuall slip befor it breaks for me.....
   Butt the instructions are pretty goodand it works for him in video form. ???  Even one of Alans rules are mentioned,  Just sayin.... ;)

CapeFish

My problem is not the twisted section, rather the finish, I continue to have problems with it unravelling regardless how i finish it, even with the fancy rozitto finish, it seems burning a blob in the mono or glue is the only solution. Both become very unpractical when you are out fishing

r8rs4lf

Quote from: CapeFish on January 21, 2019, 09:14:13 AM
My problem is not the twisted section, rather the finish, I continue to have problems with it unravelling regardless how i finish it, even with the fancy rozitto finish, it seems burning a blob in the mono or glue is the only solution. Both become very unpractical when you are out fishing

The way I finish it is with four hitch knots. When you finish all your coils, do one "over" hitch knot, pull tight. That locks the coils in. Get your pulling tools out and cinch the FG knot down tight! After that I do one "under" hitch knot, pull tight. After both those knots I do another "over" hitch knot, but I double the wrap. Basically instead of going through the loop once, I go through the loop twice and pull tight. Cut the tag end of the mono tight to the braid. Then one more "under" double hitch knot that slides right up against the previously cut mono end, pull tight. Done!

Sometimes I only do 3 knots. The two singles and one double. I used to see the single knots start to unravel a bit, but never had one fail. Ever since I started going through the loop twice, no more unraveling.

Good luck!

gstours

My current testing is with 25 #.  Butt I'm going to try 12# next when I'm sure it's going to work for me.
   I'll post pictures if possible.🎣

Strewth

Just buy the Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 tool. No teeth, toes or rod holders needed and you can use it for very light leaders and braid. Taught my sons in 5 mins using it. Because it is so compact, it is easy to use in a boat. 2-3 mins to tie an FG with a Rizutto finish.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Strewth on January 24, 2019, 01:46:30 AM
Just buy the Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 tool. No teeth, toes or rod holders needed and you can use it for very light leaders and braid. Taught my sons in 5 mins using it. Because it is so compact, it is easy to use in a boat. 2-3 mins to tie an FG with a Rizutto finish.

I purchased that and could not get used to it.

Sold it off.

I'm used to tying it a certain way so it's hard to change.

Strewth

Quote from: r8rs4lf on January 24, 2019, 02:15:06 AM
Quote from: Strewth on January 24, 2019, 01:46:30 AM

I purchased that and could not get used to it.

Sold it off.

I'm used to tying it a certain way so it's hard to change.

Interesting. I am generally allergic to knot tools, but this is a great one. I know of no other easy way to tie the FG in light braid and leader, such as 6lb braid and leader. Gives a great knot every time and the super clean Rizutto finish is a cinch (excuse the pun).