Grilled Mackerel...West African Style

Started by kmstorm64, July 19, 2018, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

While Salmon fishing last week I hooked into a 23 inch "horse" mackerel.  GF loves all things fish, and I wanted to try grilling this beast, so off to Google I went looking for a recipe:
Whole Grilled Mackerel

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 35 mins

Course:  Main 
Cuisine:  Fusion 
Servings: 6 it was a big Mac! 
Calories: 388 kcal
Author: Imma
URL: https://www.africanbites.com/whole-grilled-mackerel/

Ingredients
She talks about using a hot pepper paste, she has a link to hers on her website, we substituted hers for some Harrisa we had which is North African and not West African, it worked and is more tame as hers calls for Scotch Bonnets.
• 2-3 Whole Mackerel about 11/2 - 2 Pounds each
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 3-4 fresh lemons
• 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
• 1 -1 1/2 Tablespoons minced ginger
• 1-2 teaspoons minced basil
• 2 teaspoons or more Chicken Bouillon Powder or Maggie such as knorr (optional) ( I used better than bouillon)

(Kev's Note: she mention's using either oil or water to thin out the paste. I used 1/2 cup warm tap water, and 1/2 cup EVOO)

Instructions

1.Run water over fish inside and out. Then use paper towels to dry it up.

2.Make three –four diagonal cuts in each side of the fish, all the way right through the bone. Season fish with salt, pepper, and squeeze some lemon over it. Set aside

3.In a small bowl mix all the spices thoroughly until all the spices come together. You may add vegetable oil or water- as desired.

4.Thoroughly marinade fish with garlic mixture gently flip them back and forth until coated inside and out. You may let it marinade in the fridge for up to 24hours, if time permits. If not let it marinate for at least 30 minutes and baste and you go. (Kev's note: I did it for 4 hours, it was quite good could go longer if you want)

5.When you are ready to grill, wipe down the grill basket with oil towel to prevent fish from sticking on the grill. Discard any marinate that has been used to marinate fish and Lay fish gently on a fish basket.

(I used a Weber Q-100 propane grill set at 50%  7 minutes per side, and it was done, basket fit on the grill and the handle did not)

Charcoal Method:
1.If using a charcoal grill, open vents on bottom of grill, add charcoal about ¼ full. Light the barbecue and allow the flames to cool down until the ashes are white with heat.

2.Grill Mackerel for about 7 or more minutes per side. Flipping as needed. Towards the last five minutes you may baste with unused remaining marinade or use your best judgment.

Gas Grill:

1.If using a gas grill, preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then reduce heat to moderate.

2.Then place fish basket on grill rack. Grill for about 7 or more minutes per side depending on the thickness of fish. Check for doneness by making sure the meat closest to the bone is fully cooked – You may slash with a knife to check.

3.When ready remove from grill and transfer to a platter serve with this hot sauce

GF who loves fish stated the skin exploded with flavors, she also said it was some of the best fish she ever had. As I am on a medication right now that affects my sense of taste, I could pick up any of that. 
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

swill88

Thanks!   Where did you catch the mackerel?

steve

Marcq

Tried Mackerel once on the bbq, had to cook it on indirect heat or else it would flame like crazy because of the fat content of the fish
It was good

Marc..

kmstorm64

Off Half Moon bay maybe 6-8 miles out on the New Hick Finn.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

The Knorr the recipe speaks of is Aromatt. It is a South / West African secret that makes all things edible taste better. You can get it on Amazon.

I keep trying to get some mackerel for eating, but it always goes for bait. This dish sounds delicious.
In Hawaii, big eye skad are cooked Chinese style; lightly steamed and then drenched with smoking hot peanut oil. I bet a fish marinated as you did and then cooked in that way would be off the charts!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

theswimmer

Quote from: kmstorm64 on October 22, 2018, 10:46:24 PM
Off Half Moon bay maybe 6-8 miles out on the New Hick Finn.

Weird ...
Lost Mac eh what ?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn