Third Post from the Third Coast

Started by Tagged, January 07, 2019, 02:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagged

Howdy everyone from Victoria, Texas.  That's halfway between Galveston and the PINS.

I grew up fishing inshore, my first serious reel was a 5500c Synchro.  While I have a couple of Penns, and I've been offshore a couple of times, I'm mostly a small-spool guy.

Before finding this board, I started a rebuild of my Curado 201b.  And I discovered I love rebuilding reels and trying to make them better than new.

Since finding the board, I've rebuilt a Calcutta 51.  It's better than it was, but not as good as I think it could be.  I gave it a solid servicing, and Carbontex drag washers.  But something still feels too tight, so I'll probably be going through it again.

I've also started re-rebuilding my Curado 201b.  It was the best reel I'd ever owned, and I want it to be that again, if it can be.  Carbontex, new bearings, and polished gears, at least.

Next will be another Calcutta (400?) and an Ambassadeur Silvermax (6600?).  Both were my Dad's.  Both deserve to be rebuilt.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Benni3

Captain64-200

Fred from Biarritz ,

xjchad

Welcome!  Look forward to seeing your reels and what you catch with them!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Thanks Tagged, nice to have you with us, good people here, hope you get some good fish with your reels, just be careful the reel dont start breeding, cheers Don, from sunny Western Australia.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Hi, y'all.  Dominick from San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Hi Tex.   from little alaska.   Welcome. :)

conchydong

Welcome, I am from a coast but not sure 1st of 2nd. Anyway, I have learned so much from this site. I do not do much hot rodding but have learned to service and do minimal but noteworthy upgrades to my stock reels. Lots of knowledge here, in fact so much you will sometimes be in awe.

Scott

happyhooker

Regards, Tagged, from Minnesota.

Frank

AC49

Welcome Tagged from Cape Town SA
Regards AC49