Micrometer suggestion

Started by lifeofRiley, January 08, 2019, 02:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lifeofRiley

Can anyone suggest a micrometer for measuring bearings? I clean freshwater reels as a side job in the winter. Normally I've only had to worry about spool bearings, but this year I've ran into enough rusty and/our rough frame bearings that I'm looking into getting measurements and buying a few common sizes of stainless bearings in bulk (aka China).
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

thorhammer

Gobi King

You don't need a micrometer to measure bearings, calipers are good enough.

I bought a caliper from harborfright and it works fine, battery hog though.
Same for micrometer from amazon, battery dead in a few months.

FYI: make sure you check zero and check calibration with a known diameter item, I use 30 cal bullets
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

jurelometer

Regarding battery life: Some of the cheap digital calipers will turn on if the jaws move.   And there is no timeout mechanism.  So a little jiggle of the case will cause the battery to turn on and stay on.

Tightening the locking screw for storage will take care of this problem.

Agree with the others.  cheapo digital calipers are fine for measuring reel parts.

-J

oc1

I've had it with cheap digital calipers.  They only last six months to a year in our humidity.  So, I went back to cheap dial calipers.  Dual scale.  It's a little harder to read without glasses, but should tolerate our humidity and does no auto shut-off and loose the number every time it is set down.

-steve

Captain64-200

An  excellent  dual-scale Mitutoyo caliper   costs about 40$ and lasts several lifetimes .
Fred from Biarritz ,

lifeofRiley

Thanks for the replies. Since I only work indoors in climate controlled environments I think I'll order the "el cheapo" digital caliper off the interweb. Found one for 9 bucks with good reviews. Bearings are pretty standard in my realm (freshwater light-tackle reels) so I will most likely use it rarely. Still something handy to have around.
15 2, 15 4, pair for 6, knobs is 7

RowdyW

Anyone that has a use for a $80+ caliper knows where to shop for one. The hobbiest is looking for an economical caliper for occasional use.                Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

I'm done with el cheapo tools (with a few exceptions) so I buy the best I can afford. For reel work calipers are more of a universal measuring tool than micrometers. I use Mitutoyo Absolute - worth every last penny.

JoseCuervo

Amazon has this 8 inch caliper for $20.44 with thousands of good reviews. You can get a 6 inch for a few bucks less, but I like the extra length as more of a handle. It has a case and a spare battery (comes with two). I am happy with it and should have bought one years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NEA0P8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gobi King

I got my hb one free with a coupon or something and another for few $$$.
I spent many hours in labs in college using the top names. As long as the cheapo ones are somewhat accurate, it works for me  ;D

I am hesitant in spending $$$ for tools as my girls demands to play with them.

Even with a name brand, it is a good idea to recheck calibration.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

mikeysm

I have a set of 28 year old Tesa calipers. I also have a set of mitutoyo 0-6 inch micrometers. I have owned several cheap sets of calipers. That's just what they were cheap. Lasted less than a week.

Mike

foakes

These work for me.

And even an old brass one from West Germany works just fine.

The two fancier ones were gifted to me by members — and they work great.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

The ones I have turn on when you move the dial and automatically turn off. It takes 2 batteries a year using them many times throughout the day.

Ill post a picture later.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

basenjib123

I have a HF digital one (30.00) seems to work fine for my needs.