Thoughts on Abu

Started by Scattergun2570, November 29, 2018, 05:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am considering picking up a 5601 C4 someone has for sale..and I am wondering if these reels are quality or not..also what type of fish can it handle.any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

gumpie44

The 5601 Reel Has a Thumbar Release For Free Spool... Not Very Reliable,  Fragile Part Will Break If Reel Dropped. To Replace  You Need A new FRAME !!! $ 49.00. Just Scrapped Mine.  A 5501 Has The Normal Free Spool Button, MUCH Better Choice.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

oc1

Agree with Barry that the thumb bar is a potential problem.  The thumb bar is very convenient as long as it works.  Make sure the thumb bar takes it out of gear smoothly and does not hang up or have resistance in one spot because that is a sign of wear.  

It has the high speed 6.3:1 gear set that I like.  It also has a spool axel instead of a spool shaft and I think that makes them cast just a tiny bit better because the pinion is not riding on the spinning shaft.  Centrifugal brakes of course

They are all less than ten years old.  The number on the bottom of the reel foot will start with 09 if it was made between 2009 and 2014.  The number will start with 15 if it was made from 2015 to present.  

It will handle anything the other Ambassadeurs will.  Depending on who you talk to, that could include everything from panfish to medium tarpon.  ABU Ambassadeurs have a good reputation overall.  Some people like to stay with the Swedish made ABU's.  That one is probably Swedish made but I'm not positive.  It will say Sweden on the side plate if it is.  The list price is about $140 new in box.  Not expensive, almost too inexpensive, in today's world.

-steve

festus

A strategically placed twist tie on the left side of the thumb bar fixed it on a similar reel.

festus

Sorry, don't know anything about left handed Abus, put that twist tie on the other side for a temporary fix.

Benni3

I like Abu and I got a friend,,,, that is all he will use for stripers  ;) but the new ones don't hold up as good,,,,old swedish is the best ;D

tincanary

Quote from: Benni3 on November 30, 2018, 01:12:29 AM
I like Abu and I got a friend,,,, that is all he will use for stripers  ;) but the new ones don't hold up as good,,,,old swedish is the best ;D

The new production C3/C4 4xxx/5xxx/6xxx reels are made in Sweden as well.

Reelmeneer

If some-one is interested.... I have a spare-frame (new) for a 5601C4 for sale. If not... I am searching for a C4 with broken thumb release 😉

Keta

Quote from: gumpie44 on November 29, 2018, 03:45:18 PM
The 5601 Reel Has a Thumbar Release For Free Spool... Not Very Reliable,  

The thumb bar is a easy to replace plastic part that wears out,  I have never seen a broken one but several worn out.  If you find a LH C3 with the disengaging lever in the side plate parts reel the frames are interchangeable.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain