Ambassadeur S 5600c

Started by Tagged, January 09, 2019, 05:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagged

Dad bought it new on July 2, 1998 for $104.98 from the local Wal-Mart. He passed away four years later, and it's been sitting in the boat shed ever since.

How bad can it be, right?  There's some boat rash, a bent handle, and 16 years of grime. Nothing an old Abu can't handle.

Full restoration to come.

Tagged

Gfish

I's recently tryin to figure out the foot # on an older 5000 model. Many (subjective to Abu) variables to these numbers, but mine was pretty easy: yymm & new update, i.e., 1973, May, update #1 = 730501. Yours looks like a diffrent system.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tagged

Yeah, the final digit "6" might mean that it was made in 1996; but who knows.

It looks like the same cast frame as the silver max, black max and pro-max. Does anyone know how this differs from the "max" reels?  I saw a great thread on another site detailing the differences between those reels, it's mostly paint and bearing count.  

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=360806

So I'm wondering if I can replace bushings with bearings, and wind up with a pro-max?

Edit:  Upon further Googling, I think that the S series uses a different cast body, with a drawn palm-side plate, rather than the cast palm-side plate that the Max series uses.  So they're definitely not the same.  

My plan, then, will be to fully restore and hotrod this reel, and make it the best it can be.

The reel says "two stainless ball bearings" but so far I've only located one, on the handle side of the spool.  Maybe the second is the roller ARB?

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

steelfish

seems like an excellent candidate for a full restoration with great personal value

its that a abu morrum ?
The Baja Guy

Tagged

My son asked me tonight, "Tell me again why you've been working in that reel for three weeks now?"

So many possible answers!

I went with, "no, this is the third reel in three weeks."

Tagged

Anyone know how to remove the thumb bar assembly from the frame for cleaning/servicing?

Tagged

Tagged

The same son and I cleaned up the reel tonight. It was in remarkably good condition for a 20 year old saltwater reel.

The only thing broken on it was the E-clip on the palm side of the level wind. I had a spare in my bucket, so I popped it on.

I can confirm there is no second ball bearing, just one on the spool, and the ARB. I'm simply amazed at how smooth it is with one ball bearing.  Longer freespool times than anything else I own.

GulfOfBothnia

This might help to disassemble / reassemble the reel.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/S5600C%200501.PDF

There is tiny e-clip that holds thumb bar pin. If memory serves correctly it has to be removed to open thumb bar assembly. I do not have S5600C but BM 3600c and the structure is very much same.
To remove worm gear cover you need to open screw 21715.

Gfish

GulfofBothnia's schamatic reference shows 2 b.bearings for the spool, same part #.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tagged

That's odd. Mine is definitely one bearing and one bushing.

I didn't remove the leveleind cover. It might be corroded in place, or something. But I don't think there's any reason to force the issue at this point. There's no surface corrosion, nothing to keep the levelwind from moving freely.

I'm going to leave it alone for now.