2 Way Radios - which one?

Started by Gobi King, January 09, 2019, 10:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

2018 was the first trip to Yellowstone for Grandma and the girls, the trip was good but cellphone coverage there was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Which led to start looking for 2 Way Radios.

I have the el cheapo FRS radios but I don't like them as some "questionable" person was trying to talk to my girls on it.

Fast forward Jan, 2019, I am looking at digital encrypted 2 way radios that is out there for general public use and not the super duper top secret DoD hw.

If I have to buy a FCC lic for the freq, so be it but I want to get something with 1w to 5w power and 2 mile range mins for hiking out in the open.

Here is what I found:
1. Motorolla DTR 700
2. Motorolla DMR series which they call MOTOTRBO

if the DTR have encryption capability, I should be good with this one, only draw back is the signal strength.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Cuttyhunker

How about hand held marine? Then you can use it fishing too.  The FRS was good for my business, there seemed to be plenty of clear channels, have a few different ones agreed on in your group to switch to if you get too much chatter.  Not sure of the technical legalities on the marines in Yellowstone beyond not chatting on 16
Doomed from childhood

enfish

I don't think hand held marine radios would be legal in Yellowstone, or anywhere not next to a waterway.

According to 47 CFR 80.115, hand held marine VHF radios are limited to 1 Watt transmissions only to an associated vessel on the waterway. Shore-to-shore communication is not allowed. The relevant section of the Code of Federal Regulations is pasted below.

Quote47 CFR § 80.115 Operational conditions for use of associated ship units.

(a) Associated ship units may be operated under a ship station authorization. Use of an associated ship unit is restricted as follows;

(1) It must only be operated on the safety and calling frequency 156.800 MHz or 156.525 MHz or on commercial or noncommercial VHF intership frequencies appropriate to the class of ship station with which it is associated.

(2) Except for safety purposes, it must only be used to communicate with the ship station with which it is associated or with associated ship units of the same ship station. Such associated ship units may be used from shore only adjacent to the waterway (such as on a dock or beach) where the ship is located. Communications from shore must relate to the operational and business needs of the ship including the transmission of safety information, and must be limited to the minimum practicable transmission time.

(3) It must be equipped to transmit on the frequency 156.800 MHz or 156.525 MHz and at least one appropriate intership frequency.

(4) Calling must occur on the frequency 156.800 MHz or 156.525 MHz unless calling and working on an intership frequency has been prearranged.

(5) Power is limited to one watt.

(6) The station must be identified by the call sign of the ship station with which it is associated and an appropriate unit designator.

(b) State or local government vehicles used to tow vessels involved in search and rescue operations are authorized to operate on maritime mobile frequencies as associated ship units. Such operations must be in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section, except that the associated ship unit: May be operated from shore; may use Distress, Safety and Calling, Intership Safety, Liaison, U.S. Coast Guard, or Maritime Control VHF intership frequencies; and may have a transmitter power of 25 watts.

[ 51 FR 31213, Sept. 2, 1986, as amended at 81 FR 90746, Dec. 15, 2016]

Gobi King

Cutty - FRS units I have works fine but they are not secure, being an overly concerned father 2 little girls, I want to get units with digital encryption

Eric - Thanks, you are correct, FCC will beat me with a long stick if we use the marine radio on land. With triangulation hw they can pin point your loc if needed.

I called an outfit in Hammond Indiana, one of the engineers called me, nice guy, he went through my options.
It has been nearly 20 years since I have studied these technologies. So I am a bit rusty.

DMR - GMRS - to use encryption, one needs to have a FCC license. He explained as I will be travelling, the best solution will be to get a

Business  itinerant frequencies license from the FCC.

With license, when I am out say in Yellowstone, I can pick a frequency that is free.

I watched some youtube videos on the DMR radios, looks like there are other options that over priced Motorollas.
I am looking for units which I can program from the key pad and with nice displays and GPS, on some of them I can run google maps and other apps, simply unreal how far technology has some.

I am still trying to wrap my head around what I need in terms of features but in the 2 way radio syntax, I need units that are capable of point-point communication  with digital encryption.

The hunt continues.
Fichigan

Miles Offshore

Not really a radio but what we (and a lot of others) use offshore now for texting when we are out of radio or cell phone range. An initiation and subscription fee are required but I got the one where you can cancel or resume at will. (There are several plans). Pretty coolservice.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Miles Offshore

We use it to drop bread crumbs so the wife or fam can see exactly where we are at. The original need was so we could communicate (text) with other friends while we are are fishing without the rest of the fleet hearing us. Kind of redundant and not really necessary with all the electronics we use but does have some advantages. You can put your whole phone list from your phone in there and basically keep in touch when we are 100 miles off the beach or anywhere for that matter.
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

foakes

Yes, total agreement with Miles Offshore on the InReach —

It is a satellite commicator via text messages to anyone in the world — to their communicator, cell phone, computer, laptop, tablet, or whatever...

Send and receive two-way messages from anywhere in the world — uses your phone contacts, or any number or email you wish to set up as a contact.

Monthly subscription that you can start and stop at any time.

After seeing Wayne use his on our Edison fishing trip — I told my wife about it — and we had one in our hands from Amazon in a couple of days.

https://www.satpro.tv/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Communicator.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwOGL7_WB4AIVEyCtBh0rQgNsEAQYAiABEgKuQvD_BwE

We have not used ours yet due to other priorities and limited time for recreation — but the reason we got it was for any place that there would be no communication.

This would include traveling to remote desert and mountain areas with the camper, kayaking, boating, snowmobiling, backpacking, offshore, long trips, medical emergency issues, stuck in life threatening weather or conditions, etc.

I typically do a week, or so — solo backpack into the Sierras, annually.  This would allow for text communication with my wife, or anyone else I set up in the contacts.  Some might think that this hinders my freedom and independence — I would honestly say just the opposite.  This device actually allows me to express my freedom and independence — responsibly...

They can also see your exact path and progress — so in case of an emergency — there is help on the way.  Plus, first responders can also talk to you via text — to see what can be done remotely — and what they need to bring.  As a first responder myself — I know firsthand how lives can be saved or lost in minutes.

Also a one touch 🆘 SOS button that goes to authorities and rescue personnel.

Yes, I know that most of us would prefer not to use these...but at 66, and still very active — and wanting to be responsible to our families that are counting on us — for me there is no choice.

And if we come across someone else who needs help — this is at the ready.

Thanks for sharing the InReach, MilesOffshore.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Miles Offshore

Thanks Fred. We only have one season with it under our belts as well , so are still learning too. But it is a valuable piece of electronics that is worth the subscription!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

theswimmer

+ 1 on Freds post .
Miss  Mari and I use a couple of different systems but redundant and similar .
When you have a wife who insists on running at all hours you find something that works .
Me , I carry a Big Stick .....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Miles Offshore, Fred and Jonathan!

I too am in total agreement with using the Garmin inReach+ GPS unit.

I begin using the SPOT GPS about 10 years ago, then updated to the Delorme inReach,

now that Garmin has purhcased Delorme, I have upgraded to the inReach+ GPS unit,

Here they are on sale at Costco for a very good price.

Butt for me, at age 63 and still going "Wild & Remote", dropping 1,500' to the North Fk . of the American River, below Royal Gorge and fishing for wild brown & rainbow trout, it is reassuring we have communication with spouses, sons, other fishing buddies and if needed, First Responders.

I use it for international texting from Los Cabos, Baja, fishing last year in Bermuda, offshore with Gary-the-BUTT man in Alaska and provide it on loan to friends who want to try out before purchasing.

With the inReach GPS, both Jennifer and I know if I fall in a remote canyon and have a white thigh bone sticking out of my leg, we know what to do.

MUCH less expensive than a Satellite phone.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Gobi King

Cool technology,
I am buying one from costco, Thanks for the link!
the only problem is for frequent communication at 50 cents a text, my girls might run up the tab  :o

Fichigan

Miles Offshore

The subscription plan  i have is a monthly fee with (i believe) unlimited text, think its $20 a month or so but i can check. Edit- i have the expedition plan. 
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

Benni3

Well,,,, :D there is boafeng  radios  ;) there very difficult to set up,,,,and you better not mic up over the wrong frequency  :o but if your in a bad spot,,, ;D

Gobi King

Quote from: Benni3 on January 23, 2019, 12:50:20 AM
Well,,,, :D there is boafeng  radios  ;) there very difficult to set up,,,,and you better not mic up over the wrong frequency  :o but if your in a bad spot,,, ;D

I have a couple of Boafengs, but those are still not encrypted and bit complicated for the girls, the FRS ones are great but the privacy is concerning  >:(

I have been bit tied up with paperwork, early next week I will file the paperwork for FCC lic for DMR II Itinerant frequency. I have not pinned down handheld units yet, for my needs I need just 2 units.

When we travel grandma and my youngest stays in the van or waits somewhere, while my oldest and I venture out.
For example, when we were in Yellowstone, Grandma and my youngest waited in the Restaurant next to O'l faithful while my oldest and i walked around.  We had to come  back every hour on the hour to check on gang. We rarely venture out more than few miles.

Garmin - I received the Garmin from Costco - it is a lower version without any Topo maps, does the messaging and other features. I will definitely use it when I am out my self.
Fichigan